ads1080

separating a naughty chicken

Ok, so after enlarging the run, putting down easibed so they have more to scratch around in, hanging greens and feeding a mixed corn scatter mix and trying antipeck spray. My eldest chicken is still feather pecking as bad as ever and is enjoying eating the feathers she is pecking out. I have also seen her target one chickens vent as it is now becoming visable through feathers.

My question is, is it okay to divide their run with chicken wire and put a new coop the sectioned off area so they can see each other but the pecker cant get to the others. Or do I need to separate her more of a distance away?

Thanks for all the help and advice

Adam

Hi Adam

Have you considered putting a bumper bit on your naughty hen? I used them pretty successfully on my girls. They seem unkind at first but mine still managed to eat fine but couldn't peck each other. It may be a kinder solution to separating one girl as at some stage I assume you would want to integrate her back into the main flock

As soon as I seen the bumpa bit I was put off, ive read it has worked for many people but it's just not for me.

I understand your reticence but they are a very good deterrent, if you separate her she will need a friend, maybe a POL? Separating her and her being alone would be OK for a Few days but no longer really.

Plan is just to have them divided by the wire and separate coops for 2wks or so and then reintroduce. She has wounded the worst victim at some point as I was giving her a check over earlier I found some scabbed tissue. If I put another pol with her she is just going to peck them.

Roughly how long is a bumpa bit left in? I gather it differs between hens but just a guide.?

Thanks

Adam

Months rather than weeks and in the case of persistent attacks it's usually permanent. It's either the bumpa bit, separate or cull:((

I appreciate none of them are easy choices, I had a flock of 5 all attacking one girl persistently and making her bleed, it was a savage attack, they wouldn't leave her alone even tried to attack her through a fence and that resulted in her being re-homed so I understand how stressful it is.

I read somewhere about separating a hen who pecks others for a whole then when introduced she should be lower in the pecking order?

Adam

Yes I read that too then problem is my hen's didn't read that and in my case it was 5!against 1:(

If you remove her it takes her out of the equation and in theory when she returns to the flock they should have established an order without her so she should come in as a lower ranking hen ....she might come back guns blazing though :lol: