Egzandra

Wanting to make brawn

I apologise to anyone who is vegetarian and/or doesn't like the idea of this, but I think I would like to make some brawn. I am not working at the moment so I am thinking of cheaper cuts and old recipes. There are loads of instructions on the internet, but none tell you what size of pan (how many litres) I should have. I do have a fairly largish stock pan but I don't think that is going to be big enough. Has anyone made brawn, and if so, what size pan did you use? I suppose I could slow roast part of the pig's head, and simmer the rest of it but it does seem a bit complicated.

Any ideas, tips or thoughts, even negative ones are welcome.

I have found two recipes one for Lemon Flovoured Lambs Brawn and the other from Mrs Beetons book which uses a pigs head. Neither say how big a pan just as long as you can get either a lambs head or a pigs head in it. If you would like the recipes I will copy them onto here for you.

I have found two recipes one for Lemon Flovoured Lambs Brawn and the other from Mrs Beetons book which uses a pigs head. Neither say how big a pan just as long as you can get either a lambs head or a pigs head in it. If you would like the recipes I will copy them onto here for you.

Thank you Ursula, I would love those recipes particularly the sheeps head one. :) Maybe if I get the butcher to quarter the head I will be able to fit it in the pan.

Hi Egzandra nothing about Brawn I am not vegetarian but I find veggie recipes very economical and have recently been using a lot of Delicously Ella's recipes which are vegan and work out reasonable esp if you get veggies at Lidl, butternut squash are much cheaper than elsewhere.

Thank you Grandmashazzie, I would like to try some vegetarian/vegan recipes as well. My other half does not like butternut squash unfortunately, so I would have to disguise it! We are not near a Lidl but we get vegetables off the market near where we live in Norfolk. They are very reasonable, and we get lovely cauliflowers etc grown locally there.

Lemon Flavour Lamb's Brawn

1 Lamb's head cleaned

2 extra lamb's tongues

Rind and juice of 1 lemon

2 bay leaves

4 pickling onions

1 bouquet garni

2 pigs trotters

Salt and pepper

Put all the ingredients, except the lemon juice into a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring slowly to the boil, removing any scum which rises to the surface. Cover and simmer for two hours, or until the meat is cooked and tender.

Remove head, tongues and trotters from the liquid and set aside until they are cool enough to handle. Reserve the cooking liquid. Cut all the meat from the head, tongues and trotters and arrange in a mould. Add the lemon juice to the reserved liquid and boil rapidly until it has reduced to about 400ml/15 fl.oz. Strain over the meat and set aside to cool. Chill in the fridge to set.

Egzandra I am with your OH with regard to butternut squash and trust me there is no disguising it :lol:

From Mrs Beeton's book of Household Management

Pigs head weighing 6lb

1.5 lb lean beef

2 table spoon salt

2 teaspoon pepper

A little cayenne

6 pounded cloves

Cut of the cheeks and salt them, unless the head be small when all may be used. After carefully cleaning the head, put it on in suffice to to cold water to cover it, with the beef and skim just before it boils. A head weighing 6lb will require from 2 to 3 hours. When sufficently boiled to come off the bones easily, put it into a hot pan, remove the bones, and chop the meat with a sharp knife together with the beef. It is necessary to do this as quickly as possible to prevent fat settling in it. Sprinkle in the seasoning, which should have been previously mixed. Stir it well and put quickly into a brawn tin if you have one, if not a cake tin or mould will answer the purpose, if the meat is well pressed with weights, which must not be removed for several hours. When quite cold, dip the tin into boiling water for a minute or two, and the preparation will turn out and be fit for use.

Time 2-3 hours

The liquor in which the head was boiled will make good pea soup.

Lemon Flavour Lamb's Brawn

1 Lamb's head cleaned

2 extra lamb's tongues

Rind and juice of 1 lemon

2 bay leaves

4 pickling onions

1 bouquet garni

2 pigs trotters

Salt and pepper

Put all the ingredients, except the lemon juice into a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring slowly to the boil, removing any scum which rises to the surface. Cover and simmer for two hours, or until the meat is cooked and tender.

Remove head, tongues and trotters from the liquid and set aside until they are cool enough to handle. Reserve the cooking liquid. Cut all the meat from the head, tongues and trotters and arrange in a mould. Add the lemon juice to the reserved liquid and boil rapidly until it has reduced to about 400ml/15 fl.oz. Strain over the meat and set aside to cool. Chill in the fridge to set.

Egzandra I am with your OH with regard to butternut squash and trust me there is no disguising it :lol:

Thank you, Ursula for those recipes and for copying them for me. It is interesting that Mrs Beeton has put beef in her brawn! The lamb one looks like a do-able recipe and maybe the sheep's head will fit into the pan better. I wonder if it will still have its wool? Regarding the butternut squash, my OH also dislikes parsnips and sweet potato - it must be the sweetish flavour. But he eats everything else, including once when I gave him squirrel casserole so that's OK! :D