skye

Bedding for hatching nest box - is Aubiose ok?

Hello all

My broody Wyandotte bantam has been sitting on her eggs for 18 days now - so I'm going to prepare the Eglu Classic she's in today, ready for any chicks she successfully hatches!

Throughout the broody period she has just had Aubiose in the nest as usual. I've removed the roosting bars and was planning to put a deep layer of Aubiose all over the floor of the Eglu and fill the nesting box fuller too, so that there aren't any deep drops or steps inside. I was going to build a shallow ramp of Aubiose down into the run as well, for the same reason.

Last minute panic though - my HENS don't eat Aubiose, but could the chicks, not knowing what is food yet? And if they did, could it injure/kill them?

A bit worried - should I be changing the material to something else that they definitely won't eat?

Today is the last day I can move/interfere before 'lock-down', hence the slight panic!

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Skye

I wouldn't worry to much about the height of the step I've got a clutch of 3 week old chicks in a coop 18 inches off the floor and they are doing just fine in there from 2-3 days old and they run up and down the steps no problem each step is 4 inch high they jump of the self in front of the door with ease

Thanks guys, that's great advice!

So I have gone with Aubiose - I put a feeder and shallow drinker with stones in it inside the Eglu, and a feeder and a drinker outside in the Eglu run. I lifted Poppy off the nest for a poo and some food in the run for the last time. While she was off the nest I gently candled the eggs... they are Marans eggs, so they are dark and hard to tell what is going on... to my inexperienced eye only one of the five seems opaque (i.e. full of chick!) The others seem to have too much clear liquid in to be ready to hatch.

If we do only get one live chick from this, will it be ok on its own with Poppy? Will it get lonely? Should I be looking for a couple more very young chicks to try and add to the chick flock?

Sorry for the anxiety posts!

Skye x