magic-moose

winter care advice please

Hello, have never used a forum before but we are about to go through our first winter with guinea pigs and just wondering how others manage. We have a traditional chicken eglu with the conversion kit in and 2 meter run and I have the jacket to go over the top. I have put in onto the patio ( was on grass for summer) At the moment we have one guinea pig (Daisy) as her sister died a couple of months ago, hoping to get another on Sunday from a rescue. Even with the jacket on I was worried about her being warm enough on her own when the temperature dropped so I started shutting her in at night. I just feel bad that it is so dark in there if I don't manage to open it first thing but even when it is open during the day she mostly stays in and it is quite dim but I guess that would be the same with a regular hutch? When we get another one I am worried about shutting them in together whilst they are getting used to each other but they have got a little house each in there so they can hide from each other. I have just bought a snuggle safe warmer but it seemed daft to buy that and then leave the door open. She did seem to like it and sat on it within minutes so I guess I might need to buy another one for when we have two guinea pigs again! Anyhow I am interested in general tips and how people do things who have a similar set up. I looked at another forum where people seemed to be quite negative about eglus for guinea pigs saying they are too small, dark and cold so hoping I will find more positive thoughts here!! Sorry if this post is a bit long and thanks in advance for any replies....

Hi dont think it matters what house they in as long as they in a shed or garage without a car. Thats what i was told as its to cold for them to be outside over winter. Mine are in the shed but seperated as i was sold 2 boys no i have a pregnant sow now... so becareful if u getting another pig. Enjoy

Hi I’m just wondering what your solution to this was, I’m in the same position as you now , this will be our first winter and I’m so worried about them being warm enough outside! Everything I read online is so negative and the only reason we bought the eglu was because it said it could stay out all year as we have no option of bringing them in!