Maxine1

Not eating layers pellets

My two chickens were on layers pellets and eating them happily. Then they stopped. They'll eat lots of other things, and love mealworms, cabbage, etc., but they turn up their beaks at the pellets. They seem fine - a bit tatty maybe, I'm not sure if they're moulting,  but no signs of any problems. This year they're free range whenever I'm home (quite a lot) - is that why? I've tried changing the make to a free range mix, but no difference. Should I be worried, and what should I do? I've had them a year now, but I'm new to it all. 

I would cut out all treats and just keep them on layers pellets, it's formulated to be a balanced died providing everything they need. If they know they'll get treats they won't fill up on pellets ...much like me not eating my dinner if I know there's cake coming :lol:

They won't starve themselves if they're in the run with pellets and don't get treats so I'd stop treats completely for two weeks (could be a good time to worm them if they haven't been done) and then if you do give treats, only an egg cup worth between them and of a late afternoon when they've already filled up on pellets :)