Being away for 5 weeks has its downsides I’ve discovered. Apart from weeds, the rats are coming back!  I came home to find a dead baby on the lawn left as a welcome home present I think, by our elderly toothless cat. She’s since killed an adult.  ( She must gum them to death!) But I caught a glimpse of another ratty dashing away a few days ago. So I know they’re around. 

I can’t put poison down because a) I’m worried about the effects on other wildlife b) my elderly Polish are messy eaters and spill layers pellets around from the Grub and the vitamin K in it will act as an antidote to the poison.   I’m taking the food and water in at night, and certainly activity seems to have reduced.   But I’m considering getting a Grandpa’s feeder.  I seem to remember someone else has one. 

Would my elderly lot be able to master it?  And, do you think it will deter Mr and Mrs Rat?  I don’t want to buy one and not use it_ they’re expensive! 

I have one. Mine got the hang of it pretty fast and I think it has a guarantee if they don't use it. It comes with a training guide and training bolts too. It is a bit noisy and my jumpier girl was a bit wary of it at first. 

Definitely deterred the rats and mice here. Mine seem to be using it less if late but I think that's because they were fed lots of treats whilst we were away. I really like it and find it a good quality feeder.  Am retraining them in hopes they use it again! 

I have trained 4 different flocks of hens (sounds grand but just normally 3-4 hens)  to use the Grandpa feeder, they have all mastered it.....the rescue hens took the longest, it is 3 steps to getting them use to it & I had to go back to step 2 for them for an extra 3 days. I now have 2 of them each end of the garden but also so I can train new hens how to use it in a pen away from the others until they get the hang of it.

Would really recommend them, I got it to stop rats and it works....I occasionally see a rat but they cannot get in to them.