sarkymite

Bumpa bit saga continues

Ok so long story short, I was supposed to drive over to Cotswold Chickens tonight to get a bit fitted on Wilma, the nice chap there agreed for me to come this evening. I tried to phone before setting out as it's a fair drive for us at 40 mins each way so stressful for the bird. I got no answer, on 2 attempts 45 mins apart, so decided to have last ditch attempt at fitting bit myself.

Miraculously fitted it, though did pinch the skin over the nostril at one side, but managed to adjust it and it seemed to be in the right place . She was standing bolt upright looking utterly hacked off, and occasionally trying to shake herself so hard she was losong her balance. I sat and watched for a while and within 15 mins she had somehow "adjusted" it so one side wasn't properly in the nostril anymore and she had scratched her face in the process of trying to dislodge it. One side was now sitting on the outside of the beak instead of in the nostril (hard to explain), and she was bleeding a little where she'd scratched, so I had to grab her and take it off again.

I think we are both too traumatised to try again :(

Now just thinking I'm going to have to douse all 5 other birds in anti-peck for when we go on holiday, but it seems to upset them far more than it deters her :(

She's not vicious. Just seems to spend all night eating feathers :(

Hi Sarkymite, I have spoken to Cotswold Chickens, they apologise for not getting back to your later calls; and tell me that after the initial call, you phoned twice, after hours  - 5.30pm and 6.15pm, when Anthony was out on the tractor and didn't hear your calls. When he saw that you had rung, he thought that it was probably too late to disturb you by then. They are around all day today and happy to help you with this if you wanted to ring them again. 

I don't know your location, but I am 9 miles form their yard and working from home today, so could help you out by fitting the bit correctly, but you will need to bring your bumpa bits along as I have pliers at home, but no bits.

45 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Hi Sarkymite, I have spoken to Cotswold Chickens, they apologise for not getting back to your later calls; and tell me that after the initial call, you phoned twice, after hours  - 5.30pm and 6.15pm, when Anthony was out on the tractor and didn't hear your calls. When he saw that you had rung, he thought that it was probably too late to disturb you by then. They are around all day today and happy to help you with this if you wanted to ring them again. 

I don't know your location, but I am 9 miles form their yard and working from home today, so could help you out by fitting the bit correctly, but you will need to bring your bumpa bits along as I have pliers at home, but no bits.

Hi Dogmother

I initially spoke with Anthony on Saturday and he said Monday between 6 and 8 would be fine and to just ring him when I got there. I thought it sensible to call before setting out just because it's a long drive for the bird, and didn't dare set off when I got no answer in case he had forgotten I was coming and/or changed his plans- knowing he was doing me a favour rather than it being "in hours".

Anyhoo- best laid plans and all that!

I'm at work until about 6pm today and then a 40 miniye commute home, so would struggle to get to you until quite late. I'm also very worried i may have caused some bruising to Wilma's nose so am wondering if she should have some time to recover from yesterday's ordeal before trying again. Lastly (not that I've been awake half the night thinking about it...) I am wondering whether the reason this isn't working is that the bit is too small?? I got ones that I think said were suitable for medium size birds (the ones on the Omlet site). She's just a regular brown hybrid and I would call her medium sized. But the size of bit compared to her face looks nothing like the one in the Cotsword Chickens YouTube video. It's much shorter, and compared to the width of her face seems narrower than the one fitted to the bird in the video. 

I covered the worst-affected bird in anti-peck spray again last night, shut her in the coop to do it at around 9.30, then lifted her back out the egg port, forgot I had the door shut, so when I went to close all the doors (hens and greenhouses) at half past ten, I had a queue of fast-asleep chickens on the ladder... :$

Without seeing the bit in question, it's hard to say whether it's the right size. I don't have any bits at home, but Anthony and Wendy have them at the yard and he knows how to fit them. Given that the one you have may be the wrong size - it needs to protrude beyond the end of the beak - it is probably best that you contact them and arrange to visit the yard. I can meet you there this evening if necessary, but would need a definite time as I have dogs to walk etc. Wendy has said that they are only too happy to help you out. I will PM you their contact email; they are out topping off the hay fields today, so may not hear at first call, so I will give you Wendy's email address

Edited by The Dogmother