Jo Pringle

How many hens?

Hi, this is my first post so apologies if this question is often asked ☺

Does anyone know how many hens are allowed in a back garden? I live in a village and have had as many as 12 hens at any one time but now read that no more than 5 are allowed? I have never known this and am now concerned. I only have 6 mature girls at the moment but wanted some more next spring. Is that true? I have friends with more than me! My covenant allows hens but says nothing about numbers. Thank you for reading..... xx

51 minutes ago, Jo Pringle said:

Hi, this is my first post so apologies if this question is often asked ☺

Does anyone know how many hens are allowed in a back garden? I live in a village and have had as many as 12 hens at any one time but now read that no more than 5 are allowed? I have never known this and am now concerned. I only have 6 mature girls at the moment but wanted some more next spring. Is that true? I have friends with more than me! My covenant allows hens but says nothing about numbers. Thank you for reading..... xx

Hello,

Welcome to the forums!

Are you living in the UK? If so, check the deeds to your house and local bylaws set by your local council or parish. Sometimes there might be something in there that stipulates you can't... but to be honest, if you went ahead and did it, I sincerely doubt anyone would know or care. Not unless you have some really picky neighbours or something.

To the best of my knowledge the only law in the UK is that you have to register with DEFRA if you have more than 50 - but that's clearly not the case.

If it makes you feel better: we have 9 in our garden because that's how many my coop and outdoor space will accommodate safely. If I had a bigger coop and more room, I'd have more birds too! :)

Andy