Natspringy

Tapeworm conundrum 😂

Well my chicken's tapeworms have every one foxed. Apparently (and this is from the head of parasitology at the royal london vetinary school) chicken tapeworm are almost impossible to kill. Joy. And very rare 😂😂 Typical we'd get them!  I've been advised to burn the droppings to stop respreading 😷 and then phoning various advisors for advice on what medicine and what dose. Waiting on the vets, I'm a little concerned if I get advised a really strong dose of flubenvet; could it be harmful?  But goodness what a minefield.... And this is the rescues that have them. 

But I have to say wormcount labs are lovely,  so helpful and went out of their way to try and advise me. I'd highly recommend them for worm tests!

Fingers crossed I get an answer soon. Vermex were pretty sure they knew the way but I know lots of people don't rate them. However at the moment they are the only ones to give me an answer!

And how on earth do I burn the poo???!!

Edited by Natspringy

Thank you! The vets have ordered me flubenvet and flubenvet themselves seemed confident that a re-treat would do it. If it doesn't I will definitely pm you for that number!  Thanks. 

No, just an ordinary garden. My original flock had no worms when tested just the rescues so guess they came with them. The one who has the most cysts is pretty thin so guessing has had a while! 

Vermx said to double dose every two weeks and to do that 4 times. Was amazed how confident they were..The normal dose definitely didn't work! But then nor did flubenvet 😂 but maybe they reinfected in the small quarantine coop.

I've just purchased a burner on amazon.  Imagine it's going to smell terrible!  😂😂

Edited by Natspringy

Ah just called flubenvet. They can't tell me how to use flub to treat tapeworms as it's off licence but it is not the standard dose. They can tell my vet though and it would be a higher dose.  Reluctant to dose so strongly after only 3 weeks. So going to wait a little then see if a vet is willing to phone them for me. Was quite a funny conversation.

Or I can try something else. But 3 weeks between treatments feels too much.

Tricky things tapeworms!

Edited by Natspringy

Don't worry I will listen to my vet! The vet agreed giving them time between courses was a good idea especially as the worm load wasn't enough to register, it's only that I saw the cysts so knew.

But I will definitely treat them. Need to persuade my vet to ring flubenvet though or prescribe something else. The tricky bit is they don't know what to use 😂 but I will persevere.

Thanks.