skye

Chooks and acorns/oak trees?

Hi guys

Life is treating Layla and Yolko well. They've settled in nicely to their new home with us at Skye, not laying yet but it shouldn't be long now. They've got a snug new Aubiose floor on their run so their tootsies will be nice and dry now.

Just one question. We've moved their eglu to a quiet, shady spot at the bottom of our garden under a big oak tree. Acorns/oak sap aren't poisonous to chickens, are they?

Thanks in advance!

H and R at Skye

With three large oak threes at the bottom of our garden I researched this one, including asking Johannas at Eglu.

The conclusion oak / acorns are safe for chickens but in excess may turn the yolks harmlessly green, I think the word tinge needs to be used here!

Mine are often under our oaks and no harm has befallen them except for acorns being thrown at them by the squirrels :evil:

Raw acorns are toxic to chickens, and some types of oak are more toxic than others. In a study, Eggs from chickens who ate a significant amount of acorns (enough to turn the yokes green) also had reduced hatchability. So it would seem that some of that toxicity goes into the eggs as well.