grahamrhind

Ducks with a chicken setup

I know that the knowledge of the members here extends way beyond chickens, so if anybody can help with these duck questions, I'd be much obliged.

My current setup is for chickens (Eglu Classic, treadle feeder with chicken feed, all-day free-ranging), but it's currently empty as my surviving hen has defected to a neighbour's flock (I can just about see her to wave to across the fields some mornings). 

Enter somebody who has asked me to take their four Indian Runner ducks which, as the alternative was for them to end up in the pot, I agreed to do.  However, I have no experience at all with ducks.

So, the questions are related to what I need to do to make my setup duck-friendly.

• Do I have to buy special feed for the ducks, or will they be happy with the feed I have left over from the chickens? Or can they get their nutrition just from free-ranging?
  • Could they feed from a treadle feeder? I'm wondering if their bills would make it hard for them to get at the food?  If not, what alternatives are there - I want to avoid open food sources as I've only just got rid of the rats?
  • If I remove the roosting bars, is an Eglu classic OK for them?  It may be too small for four ducks, but actually, as we have no predators, do they need to roost at all or are they happy to settle down anywhere? Or do I need to look at buying a new house for them?
  • And ... anything else I may not have thought about. I'm a bit anxious about being fobbed off with them (though I'm sure I'll love them when they arrive), but I'm a sucker for rescuing animals, so .....

Thanks in advance!

Graham

Hey, yeah we've had ducks for nearly 10 years! We started with Campbell hybrid types and now have a trio of Call Ducks and they are messier than chickens!

Layers pellets will be fine from them, haven't tried a treadle feeder but I imagine it would be fine for them to use. Ours are in a secure Walk in Run so usually sleep on a pallet but they have a Go without roosting bars they can use if they choose to. 

They're great free ranging and will eat lots of grass but they don't put themselves to bed (or roost) like chickens do so you'll need to put them away at night. Only other thing is a water source, we have a couple of big tub trugs outside and two superglugs in the run.

Thanks @Lewis.  Have you tried to feed them with meal instead of pellets? (I know they'll eat virtually anything. When I owned a restaurant a pair of (wild) ducks would visit 6 or 7 times per day (entering the restaurant if we were too slow in reacting) to gorge themselves on our bread. It became quite the tourist attraction because I would have to help them cross the road both ways. I know they're not supposed to eat bread but she wouldn't take anything else and, as she was back five years in a row, I guess it didn't damage her too much .... ;-) )

Also, the water. If I make a pool, e.g. a children's paddling pool, which isn't sunk into the ground, do I need to provide a ramp for them to get into/out of it, or can they jump up and down if required? 

I don't really like meal/crumb in general as it makes a mess around the feeder. If you have some left over then try it but I'd stick to pellets myself.

They should be able to jump into it, they hop up into ours and if it's full enough they shouldn't need a ram to get out either.