Northern Karl

Looking for advice!

Hi all,

first time poster here! After some advice about one of my chickens (I have 3 in total). So she’s been pecking out her own tail feathers, which I’ve just about nipped in the bus now and feathers starter to grow back. However I have noticed her skin is all red and spotted looking and also a little lump. She’s about 3, and isn’t laying, hasn’t done for about a year though. I’ve also noticed she seems to be constantly tensing her vent (it isn’t prolapsed and looks ok) but not sure if this is normal! Otherwise fit and healthy looking, eating and pooing as normal and very lively. Will this go away on this own do you think? Pic isn’t great but best I could do!

CD75B564-B188-462F-A0CB-6EC725756563.jpeg

OK, so everything that you mention there is normal:

That little bump on her back near the tail is her preen gland; she will fetch oil from that with her beak and then use her beak to 'comb' it through her feathers.

It is normal for the vent to pulse... that's what it does

What I can see of her skin looks normal to me, but do you check them regularly for lice and mites. or use a prevention programme?

• Like 1