Luvachicken

What to do with Oriental Poppy seeds

On my various walks during Lockdown, I have managed to gather some Oriental Poppy seed heads. They weren't quite ready for picking when I got them but they have since dried out and their little hats have popped up.

The thing is, I'm not sure whether to sow the seeds now or keep them safe and dry until next spring ?

What do you think is best to do ?

55 minutes ago, majorbloodnock said:

Personally, I'd sow them now. If the heads have opened up now, it's nature's way of saying it's the right time to sow.

Yes, I did think of that too.

My garden is a bit of a mess at the moment because of having the patio done, but it should be finished after the weekend so I will sprinkle them around then.

I must admit I do do the same with my foxgloves and they always seem to come up.

Thank you both 😊 

Poppies are famous for thriving on newly disturbed ground - after all, that's why they proliferated in Flanders - so your recent garden work will only work in the poppies' favour. And the good thing is that any that come up will themselves provide seeds for filling in the gaps next season.

Good luck

Poppy seeds seem to need sunlight for stimulating germination, so shallow depth suits them best, apparently. As a result, newly disturbed soil will tend to kick start any poppy seeds that find themselves brought to the surface. It's less likely that Oriental poppy seeds will already be dormant in soil around and about since they're a less common cultivar than your average field poppy, but their requirements are, as I understand it, about the same.

As a result, chuck the seeds around and leave them to their own devices. Next year, see what grows, wait until the heads have dried and opened, then collect the seeds and repeat in all the gaps you missed first time round. I can't say I'm an expert, but that approach seems to work for us here.

Alternatively, harvest the seeds and sprinkle on a loaf before baking. Nom.