Newbie2chickens

7, young, unsexed chickens and- how many roosters?

Hi, this is my first time doing this and having chickens. I have 7 chickens, all about 2 months old. But, what happens if I have more than 2 roosters! I'm not sure if I have roostrs at all yet, but there is an odd number of them and if i have more than 2 i don't know what to do! Most of them have 1 other of the same breed, so i have 2 RIR's, 2 Black Orpingtons, and 2 Amaraucanas. So I can compare most of them in size differences, waddle differences and comb differences. But I only have 1 barred rock because the other past away. How do I tell which is a rooster and which is a hen? What do I do if I have way more than 1? Please help me.

Some breeds sex late, particularly Orpingtons. We had a brother and sister at 20 weeks which became two brothers at 26 weeks. Leghorns can be sexed as early as 4 weeks, simply by the size of the comb. I seem to remember somewhere that hens ('pullets' up to laying) develop wing feathers before cockerels. The feathering on the hackles gives a cockerel away but the only way to be sure is when they crow. Problem is cockerels start fighting in sight of pullets at about 12 weeks, so you may have your hands full with mixed breeds.

Cockerels are difficult to find homes for. You can only keep one and if you have potential noise issues with neighbours you may not be able to keep any. Problems with disposing of cockerels is why many people don't hatch. Statistically 50-55% will be cockerels and the remainder pullets but that's only an average. Our first hatch had 8 cockerels and one pullet. Our second had 12 pullets and two cockerels. Over 5 hatches it did average out. So you will be looking at an average of 4 cockerels, but you may have none and you may have 7.

10 minutes ago, Newbie2chickens said:

That is helpful. But I can't help thinking, what if i do get 7 cockerels? That would be, bad...

Honestly, that would have been something you should have considered before getting 7 unsexed chickens. Don’t mean to sound harsh, but it’s a bit late now. 
Contact the breeder you got the chickens from and see if they cab help out if you get too many cockerels.

Post some pictures and we can hazard a guess on the sex of your chickens.

• Like 1

Just now, Cat tails said:

Honestly, that would have been something you should have considered before getting 7 unsexed chickens. Don’t mean to sound harsh, but it’s a bit late now. 
Contact the breeder you got the chickens from and see if they cab help out if you get too many cockerels.

I got them for my 13th birthday from our local farm store. I don't know if that makes a difference but....

I agree with you, we should have gotten sexed chicks. But it was a 1 time offer and no other option because they were 1 dollar a piece and my dad believes in animal abuse with shipping...

s aren't friendly and are too suspicious. They were the newest ones to my 7, so those were the best shots i could get. And I agree about the RIR. The RIR's and the barred rock are the friendliest so those were probably my best shots. Thank you! I know it's not for certain but this really reassures me!