Sihitch

Coop floor paint / treatment

I have built a chicken ark, the floor is made of exterior OSB treated with Ronseal shed and fence paint. I am finding that this treatment is not robust enough to put up with a weekly wash down with disinfectant. The OSB is delaminating and the Ronseal is coming off when I scrub. What paints/treatments have people found effective?

We use water based wood primer and then one coat of white exterior oil based gloss on our plywood wood floors, but you can't apply that when the coop is in use because of the fumes and drying time. We don't wash ours down weekly though; perhaps just once a year and we don't use disinfectant either, just weak washing up warm water.

My floor was amde of marine ply but I didn't paint the floor so avoided your problem (I had quite enough other ones though!), added to which I had a thick layer of bedding on the floor, so I would just poo pick. I would clean the whole lot out maybe monthly, depending on use, and if necessary I would use a silver scourer to get rid of stubbon stains.  The exterior walls were done with some exterior paint (can't remember what, but not emulsion) but inside they were done with emulsion, and they stood up to wipe down cleaning with something like Poultry Shield well enough.  I'd repaint the whole thing every couple of years. My coop was on 6 inch legs, so moisture coming up from the ground wasn't a problem.