Sonali

Chck beak

Hi all 

I have noticed in the last two days one of my chicks had the top of her beak chipped and then this morning I noticed that the other one had the same issue. I am new to chicken keeping and worried if I am doing something wrong and if so what can I do different. Also will the beak grow back? I have conflicting information online and quite confused and worried for the poor chicks. They seem happy but I don’t know if they are in pain. 

Are these chicks you have hatched or are they ones you have bought and what age are they now? Chicks when hatched have a 'tooth' on their top beak which they use to break open the shell. That falls off quite quickly and that may be what you are seeing? Is there anything hard they could damage their beaks on? If these are chicks you have bought what breed are they, because some high volume intensive hybrid producers clip the beaks to stop feather pecking (horrible practice)?

Hi the chicks are 2 weeks old and I bought them home when they were two days old from a hatchery. I have read about the “tooth” but was not sure if this was the case. I really hope it is as I was concerned I need to give them some kind of vitamin. They definitely did not have the beaks cut when I got them home. I had a glass bowl with their grit in it could this may have caused it? Their food is in one of the trays with the little holes and they have a waterer. They are in a plastic tub for now until they go outside. They do keep pecking the side of the box but I wouldn’t have thought this would cause any harm. I’m not sure though. I have attached some pictures of the cuties as well. C5BF4F52-FF17-4B5F-B93B-C2A94952C584.thumb.jpeg.3b7868191c34ac7ec0cddf0423fb00a4.jpeg05F8D9C5-F938-4573-B8BF-73641E57918F.thumb.jpeg.ac0edc17b7dfc20f87624a1958d67db1.jpeg

They haven't had their beaks trimmed, so that can be ruled out. Possibly pecking at the glass (which has now gone) or possibly the tooth broken off. Certainly not serious at all; their beaks grow very quickly. With only the top beak 'damaged' I'd go for the tooth theory. They look in excellent health so just keep doing as you are.

• Thanks 1

It happens to us all Sonali. What's great is you are so observant, so they are in good hands. You can always rely on this forum to give you advice. Worth mentioning is two things that give you an early warning of problems; they stop talking to you and their poo's are not normal, so unfortunately you need to study chicken poo!

• Like 2