Amber

Eglu with broody chicken

We have an Eglu go up and three chickens.  One of the chickens has got broody and will not leave the enclosure. The other chickens still go in, squeeze next to her and lay the eggs and she sits on them.

My question is do you recommend breaking her broodiness, Or do I give her some fertilized eggs and let her have some hatchlings. If she’s sitting on fertilized eggs/hatchlings in the coop will she let the other chicken still come in and lay?

On 4/17/2021 at 6:31 AM, Amber said:

We have an Eglu go up and three chickens.  One of the chickens has got broody and will not leave the enclosure. The other chickens still go in, squeeze next to her and lay the eggs and she sits on them.

My question is do you recommend breaking her broodiness, Or do I give her some fertilized eggs and let her have some hatchlings. If she’s sitting on fertilized eggs/hatchlings in the coop will she let the other chicken still come in and lay?

If you are not planning on letting a hen hatch, it’s best to try and break the broodiness. You can’t keep a broody with other hens. They can be very nasty to chicks. Also an Up coop is not suitable to keep chicks in.

Take a look at this video:

• Thanks 1