Prettyinpink

Chicken advice

Hello, I'm considering getting some chickens for our garden but the more I read the more mixed up I feel. So I would like to talk to people who are already have experience. So expect lots of questions 😁 My first question is about mites! Is it guaranteed chickens will get mites or is there way to prevent it from ever happening?

I have had chickens in my back garden for 7 years and have only had mites once. That was because I was using an old, handmade, wooden perch in the plastic house (Eglu Cube). I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I think if you have a plastic house which you keep clean you won’t have a problem with mites. And even if you do they’re quite easily sorted out with a plastic house. I chucked out the perch. Pressure washed and mite sprayed the house. Smoke bombed the house. Repeated that one week later and that was that.

I've had chickens for 12 years now and have never had mites.

Mine don't free range so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Having a plastic house definitely helps and keeping it clean every week means that you can keep an eye on anything that might occur or nested where it shouldn't.

If mites are the only thing you are worried about, then I would definitely get some chickens - mites are easily sorted doing the things @mullethunter has suggested.