lizzieparsnips

When can chicks move outside

Hi, we’ve got 4 cream legbar chicks, currently 6 weeks old. This week they have been enjoying time outside during the day but coming inside our house at night. I would really like to move them out to their house when they’re 8 weeks old. Forecast says temperature at night will be around 4C. Would they be ok to move out at that age/temperature. I’ve tried googling but there is conflicting advice!

Thanks

On 3/26/2022 at 7:14 PM, lizzieparsnips said:

Hi, we’ve got 4 cream legbar chicks, currently 6 weeks old. This week they have been enjoying time outside during the day but coming inside our house at night. I would really like to move them out to their house when they’re 8 weeks old. Forecast says temperature at night will be around 4C. Would they be ok to move out at that age/temperature. I’ve tried googling but there is conflicting advice!

Thanks

It will depend on the nighttime temperature. 4 small chicks in a large coop will struggle more to keep warm than big chickens. If you want to be absolutely sure they’ll be okay, I would wait to 9 to 10 weeks.

Well I’d say wait until you get to 8 weeks and then review the night time temperatures. I’ve always had mine out at 6 weeks but that’s always been mid to late summer so totally different nighttime temperatures. 
If it was me, if they’re well feathered when they get to 8 weeks I’d put them out as long as the nighttime temperatures are going to be around double figures.

• Like 1