Kizzamozza

Taming Chickens???

Kim,

You've only had the new girls since yesterday so don't worry. Try getting them out of the Eglu through the eggport in the evening a little while after they've gone to roost. They will be sleepy and docile and will take to cuddling so much better when they are tired. Try giving them treats like sweetcorn or grapes from your hands too. They will associate you with food and will soon come when they see you.

Give them time to settle in - remember it's a new experience for them! They probably weren't handled before you got them so take it slowly and easily and they'll soon be really tame.

Good luck.

they probably just need a bit longer to adjust to their new home, and become familiar with you. they'll soon settle. make a cuppa, and sit in the garden talking to them. they'll soon recognise your voice, and accept you as their friend, especially if you tempt them with treats.

When we first got Jenny and Clarry, we couldn't get near them because they were so nervous and went off like rockets everytime we tried to pick them up. We persevered with giving them an evening cuddle and picked them up whenever we were able to and they soon accepted us. My youngest used to walk round the garden (still does to be honest) with Clarry tucked under his arm and she's the easiest to catch. Jenny took a little longer to accept that he wouldn't hurt her.

If they aren't already in lay, you'll also find that they will start to flatten themselves when you come near and they are so easy to pick up then.

Don't despair! It will get easier - promise :wink: !!

Well, as we just found out, they are in lay. Either one of them just layed a dark speckly egg (very different from thelma so we know it wasn't her). Also, I cant get them near me to get the treat from my hands, thelma just swoops along and robs all the grapes before they have even a chance to get near me.

My Maddy is a bit of a thug over sweetcorn so I sit down to give her it and poor Ruby sits at my feet and I throw stuff for her, the story is very different with grapes and in that case I throw them and we have chicken races. Maybe if you or someone could distract Thelma with her favourite treat while you tempt your new girls near with a treat on the floor and then gradually in you hand. Maddy still prefers to take sweetcorn out of a container but will take it from my hand if pushed. Your new darlings are coping with a lot of changes, they'll soon realise you're only going to give them lovley grub and love :)

We bought 4 chickens last week (3 Mar 07) and have seen a vast change in their nervousness each day. From all of them running away when we went near to 3 of the 4 being happy to come within arm's reach. Only 1 will let us stroke / pick her up at the moment, but the rest are getting better. Our advice, stick with it, dont frighten them and always appear with food or a treat.

Oh, and our bird's are

(white chicken) White Leghorn / Rhode island red cross - Boba Fett Tame

PP Silver sussex - Yoda Getting there

PP Silver sussex/Rhode Island Red cross- Dave Slowly getting there

GNR Rhode Island Red / Pylmouth Barbary Rock - Trigger Nervous!