Guest Eliz & Maud

Big Birds

Hiya,

My chickens last night had a rather close incounter with a sparrowhawk or a buzzard. I was out but my next door neighboors were in their garden and spotted a large bird, it swooped out of the sky killed a fat pigeon that was just standing on the path, and flew away with it. Now there are loads of feathers everywhere. Confused

They said my chickens were just standing there still and silent, shocked at the size of the thing. As they had never seen one before i think it would have been quite a shock! Shocked

Ellie

I have never seen Buzzard or Sparrowhawk flying near to us but I am sure they must be around.......

When we picked our third chicken up from the breeder in Flintshire she said they had regular visits from Buzzards that often took her chickens especially the bantams,I suppose if the chickens are out in the garden there is not much you can do to stop them, sounds like your chooks had a lucky escape................. :evil: Good job there was a nice fat pigeon around to distract it, poor pigeon........... :cry:

We frequently get a visit from "Evil Edna" the Sparrowhawk but she's never gone anywhere near the girls. She usually takes sparrows or starlings. They can take anything up to a pigeon or collared dove sized bird but I think compared to her bodysize, the hens are just too large.

Not sure about Buzzards - they are much bigger :? .

That was one of my favourites as well, though I was far too old (about 30 at the time I think). I liked Arthur the Caterpillar, and The Moog with its wonderful vacant expression. :D

We get loads of buzzards and hawks here, though I've never seen one come down into the garden. Its interesting to see how the crows see off the buzzards by flying round just underneath them so that the buzzards can't swoop down.

That was one of my favourites as well, though I was far too old (about 30 at the time I think). I liked Arthur the Caterpillar, and The Moog with its wonderful vacant expression. :D

I was in the sixth form when it was on and it's a bit sad to think of a whole load of 17/18 year olds running home to watch a cartoon series on TV in the evenings but we loved it!

After saying that the Buzzards or Kestrels didn't appear to have bothered with the chickens, a sparrowhawk came down and settled on a fence post last night right next to the run.

It was almost dusk and Carl was quietly watching the girls after an earlier problem with Mrs.W. The sparrowhawk obviously hadn't seen Carl and took off hurriedly when it did - good job we've got the roof netting because otherwise it would just be a large open pen.