NewChickenMum

Lost a chicken leaving one behind

Hi all. I’ve had two adored chickens since March 2020. Sadly one went very down hill during the heatwave last week and despite me syringing water in her every couple of hours we lost her this afternoon. I am now worried about the chicken that’s been left behind. She’s super healthy, head girl and a greedy guts but I don’t want her to be lonely. How soon should I introduce a new chicken?  Is one or two better?

Thanks in advance. 

You should introduce two as soon as possible and being younger and on new territory your original will be top hen. Don't get ex-batts. They are very aggressive and don't mix with any other breeds.

In severe heat you should stand their feet in cool (not cold, so over 20C) water first. Then bring them into your house if they are still too hot, so panting and wings lifted. Unfortunately syringing water doesn't cool them much; just the crop which isn't the problem.

Thank you.  I had stood her in cool water but if I’m honesty I think there was an underlying illness and the heat just made it worse (my vet was completely useless) I was syringing water because she had stopped drinking. 

I saw an advert yesterday in my local farm shop for pairs of hens so I’ll give them a call tomorrow. 

• Like 2

I just wanted to comment that ex battery hens are not aggressive! Our lovely girls have lovely personalities and have given us such joy knowing they’re having a wonderful free range life with us. I’m so sorry to hear of your loss Newchickenmum. One of ours died last night and we are down to two. I’m now thinking what to do with the remaining one when the time comes. I’ll see how it goes when the time comes