Heather Brown

NEIGHBOURS CAT INFRINGING IN CHICKEN COOP/RUN

Hello,  I have 14 chickens and they have been happily laying 12-13 eggs each day, consistently or months.  But in the past week, after my neighbours cat has decided it wants to jump the fence and stalk them, I am down to 1 egg a day.  Would the stress of the cat cause them to stop laying?  I have tried to deter the cat, but as soon as it sees me, it flees. I am at a loss as to what to do.

Stress could make them stop laying. But are you sure they aren’t laying anymore? Maybe they are hiding their eggs somewhere else. Also are you sure you don’t have an overactive egg eater?

A good tool to deter cats is a water pistol. The super soaker kind can get you some range too.

Stress will certainly stop them laying and a good water pistol will deter the cat. My concern is if a cat can get to your chickens, so can a fox. I think it's time to improve your security. Whilst that may seem expensive and time consuming, so will be replacing your flock.