New chicken

Using rubber chips in the run instead of wood chip

I seem to remember one of the old members on here used to have those and wasn’t so enthusiastic… it turned to a horrible sludgy mess.

It all sounds nice, something you could wash/clean, but how and where are you going to do this… you would need quite a surface.

Here is one topic on rubber chips:

Thanks, I was thinking of them as the maker recommends them for putting onto of slabs. My chicken coup and run are going to be on slabs. I was thinking hose them in the run and when they need a good clean put them on the drive hose them and let them dry in the sun or wash in a big barrel and lay them out to dry. Thanks 

I live in Scotland and its sometimes wet and sometimes sunny, I am going to get the clear rain cover that goes over the run completely so hopefully it will be quite dry, my slabs are going to be surrounded by chippy stones so hopefully the water won't run in from the sides

I don't advise ever using rubber chips for chickens. They are made from shredded tyres and sometimes contain needle sharp pieces of steel wire reinforcement which could potentially seriously damage chickens' soft feet (and your hands when you are spreading it). Wood chips are the way to go and will be great for your veg plot used in a layered system with raised beds.