anniesahm

Getting started!

My 1st post on Bunny Board!

.... and loads of questions really....

• I'm thinking of getting a pair of Rex baby rabbits. (from a breeder, not petshop) and would just like to know if anyone has experience of Rexes.... from what I've read they are suitable for a novice (I last owned a bunny when I was 14... and that was SOooooooooooooo long ago!) and of not too nervous nature (I have 3 young kids.... as in human, not goat variety!) to be happy with our family...

I've read a few bits and pieces about rabbits escaping their Eglus (sorry.. Rablus!)... any news on the run "floor" mesh idea??

We live in London with a really thriving fox population.... anyone who owns a bunny seems to lose it quickly as fox dinner.... Are Eglus REALLY foxproof??

Thinking ahead... what do you all do when you go away?? Do you all have Bunny friendly neighbours??

oh.... and any idea of the best colour Eglu for (London-streetwise) Bunnies... it's a real toughie descision...!

awwww got to go.... youngest (child) has woken up...

will be back with a few more queries no doubt... if you don't mind puttin' up with me! :roll:

Ta

Annie

Annie sorry you didn't get any replies to your posting it is in the right place I just don't think there are many people on the forum with bunnies.................. Clare Taylor has bunnies in a rablu maybe she will be along soon to answer your questions, sorry I can't be of help I don't have any rabbits, but feel free to join in with the general chat in the nesting box........... :D

My boy is a Rex; he's actually slightly more nervous than my girl. His fur is beautiful, but he would rather be with rabbits than people.

He's a handsome beast though!

I don't keep mine in a Rablu; before I had even heard of Omlet, we had built a large pen for them which has sunken flagstones around the edges. This was a lot of effort in our heavy soil; but it does mean that the buns have plenty of space and are free to dig. If it looks too exciting I come along like a big meanie and fill the tunnel in.

When the Rablu was released later I was very interested in it, but only for the hutch element really - it would have saved us building a hutch within the shed.

Hi

I was thinking about getting a rablu some time ago for my nephew's rabbit and asked around about them on here and on rabbit rehome forum which is a good site to ask any rabbit related questions. I didn't end up getting one in the end because I was told they weren't that easy to transport, mainly I think taking the run apart. My main concern was there not being enough room in the indoor bit for cold/rainy/snowy days and not enough space to put a litter tray. I do think it would be a bit of a squash for two rabbits especially if they wanted to lie stretched out. On dry/warm days however I think rablus would be brilliant because of the size of the run. If I was to get outdoor rabbits in the future, I would get a rablu, but probably have a big normal hutch to use as well for cold weather although I would be worried about foxes with a wooden hutch. You can read the questions and answers about eglus on the rabbit rehome site, just type in omlet in the search bit of the first discussion forum that comes up. The people on there are very knowledgeable about rabbits and would be able to tell you about rex's as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks Guest... that was very helpful... tho' I am now probably more confused!! It's good to hear "the other side"... tho it does seem as tho' the Rablu stirred up real love/hate...

I am concerned to read that some Rabbit Rehoming charities won't let their bunnies go to Rablu homes... I think I probably need to ask OMLET the questions that were brought up on that forum, and make my decision from thereon....

I SO want to believe in the Rablu... :?

x Annie

Glad you found it useful. I really want to get a rablu when the time comes to get outside bunnies, I've got a houserabbit at the moment and he's lovely but I will have two outdoors bunnies next time because they're hard work sometimes running around indoors. I wish the indoor bit of the rablu was bigger to give bunnies more room, but I suppose that would mean the run would have to be smaller. But I wouldn't be comfortable with them in it in really cold weather, so not sure. Don't suppose you have a conservatory or a garage that you could put the rabblu in during winter? I don't have either so that isn't an option for me. Or if you have a big enough garden, have you considered a bunny shed which is what a lot of people on rabbit rehome have because there is plenty of space for the bunnies and you can get inside to spend time with them? Out of interest, could you let us know on here what Omlet say when you ask them further about keeping bunnies in the rablu?

Hi Annie

Sorry that I've only just picked up on this thread (welcome to the forum!).

I have two mini lop girls , who live in a duplex wooden hutch, and have a Rablu on the grass as their 'summer palace'. They have really taken to it, and I am contemplating keeping them solely in that and using the big hutch less, or maybe even getting rid of it altogether. Although the hutch is more sheltered and the lawn gets really exposed and cold.

I'll try to answer all your queries, so bear with me...

The Rablu/Eglu runs really are fox proof provided that they are on even ground and you remember to lock the door. If your lawn is uneven you can use tent pegs to secure the run skirt to keep it down. The mesh base (girl bunnies are very good diggers) is going to be available in the next few weeks http://penny@omlet.co.uk would be able to confirm this.

I have a lovely neighbour, who comes in when I am away to feed the animals and look after them. I am sure that you will find someone, or perhaps you could take the Rablu and bunnies to their house to make it easier for them. Do you have someone who keeps an eye on your house while you are away? Perhaps they would do it.

It's best to get more than one bunny as they are very sociable,and preferably from the same litter. It is best not to breed from bunnies unless you are an experienced breeder as it can all go very pearshaped. All female buns should be neutered unless you are a breeder as they have a very high rate of mortality from uterine cancer. The ideal combinations are 2 boys (both neutered or they fight), two neutered girls, or a both-sex pair, but with both of them neutered. All this neutering may sound drastic, but they get very stroppy and hormonal (think Kevin the teenager) and there is the added health risks with females. Plus the boys (if left entire) will spray and bonk everything in sight (perhaps they ought to consider it for some human males :roll: )

I got my two girls (twins) from a breeder called Karen Wren in Ross on Wye, her webiste is http://www.%20rossrabbits.co.uk . She is very knowledgeable and the site has loads of information, but she doesn't breed rexes.

As with any pet ownership, I would recommend that it is not to be entered into lightly, and that you should read up thoroughly on the subject and be sure that your children will understand that the animal/s need to be respected and have some peace.

The Rablu/Eglu is a fab animal house and so easy to clean.

Pleae feel free to post again with any more questions and I will try to answer them. You can see some pix of my bunnies on my album

*For some reason some of my links aren't working :roll:

Clare

Thanks EVERSO for you reply to all my questions.. it was really helpful.

(sorry it's taken me a while to get back on here... :oops: )

I just need to sit down and discuss it all with Other-Half.. then hopefully I'll be all systems go... :)

x Annie