ali-s Posted March 1, 2008 Share Posted March 1, 2008 Well I never! The Elgin one must be recent I will ask about the treatment when I return to the Doctor in a couple of weeks. Thanks for that Louise I haven't used the steroid cream yet I have been putting on the aqueous cream and using the handwash lotion. My hands have improved. No ordinary soap has been near them in 3 days. Even when washing my hair I wear gloves. Hopefully my Faith in nature products will arrive on Monday. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Louise Posted March 3, 2008 Share Posted March 3, 2008 I found the aqueous cream made me worse it is the paraffin content It made it feel fine whilst it is on but as soon as it is off my hands dry very very quickly I spoke to the hand and foot specialist a few weeks ag and explained this and she was happy for me to use glycerin rich oinment with no paraffin as it seems to be working I just use the neutrogena and your body can absorb the glycerin but it does get expensive until the dry crust stuff is gone because the skin is just so darn thirsty Cetyl stearyl is also paraffin (read the labels ) I have also found that body butters are quite good again read the label to check the ingredients first I use coconut, mango and olive depending on my mood I am amazed at how well I am doing with the treatment but it is a pain having to have sloppy creams etc being applied so often at first and I got sick of all the smart comments when I had to wear cotton gloves all the time for the first 6 weeks as my skin was just so fragile I also have a permatan on my hands these days because of the light therapy I started at 34 seconds and I am about to get the maximum tomorrow which is 9.5 minutes it is really strong light I didn't put my skin guard on carefully the other week and the non hardened skin really burned quite badly and blistered I hope you get it sorted soon Ali its miserable having sore hands all the time Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted March 3, 2008 Share Posted March 3, 2008 I hope that you're not going to get any side effects from the light damage to your hands Louise - it sounds rather strong Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Louise Posted March 3, 2008 Share Posted March 3, 2008 The main side effect is skin cancer Claret I had to do something though as it was almost unbearable and so disabling I don't have any moles/freckles on my hands and I am monitored very carefully The difference is amazing though They keep going until the over production of skin cells is halted then through skin management ie moisturising etc it should not get out of control or require steroids again Well thats the plan anyway Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted March 3, 2008 Share Posted March 3, 2008 The main side effect is skin cancer Claret I thought it would be Louise The sun certainly makes mine far better, but the skin is so thin now after using steroid creams years ago, that I lather them in sunscreen when I am out. I know what you're going through - the discomfort, itching and pain are bad, I remember having to wear gloves to bed and tying them tightly around my wrists to stop me scratching at it in the night. I hope that yours continues to improve. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...