reidyroo

why is my hen laying eggs with bubbly/lumpy shell?

One of our chickens has been laying well for a while, but recently laid some eggs which had soft/broken shells and a bubble/lumpy texture on the surface of the egg. The texture is like tiny balls of shell attached to the surface of the egg - very strange.

The following image shows what one looks like

Is there anything wrong, or causing this?

What do you advise?[/img]

Hi Reidyroo,

I've noticed something similar with my eggs lately too. I have worked out that it may be from the red mite powder that I have been sprinkling in the nest box. It definitely started on the eggs at the same time as using the powder. Although mine aren't laying any soft shelled eggs, they just have small bits stuck to them when hard.

When the eggs are layed they are slightly wet and dry very quickly. Is there something in the nesting area that is sticking to the eggs when laid?

Where abouts in Reading are you from? I'm in Southcote :D

It's quite normal to sometimes get 'extras' stuck to the shell! Because our chooks are not confined to cages and get fed a wider variety of foodstuffs, their eggs are more varied! One of mine often has small pebbles attached to hers! :shock: And if they get into the childrens sand pit, we get very sandpapery shells :lol: It's all applied inside them, when the shell gland applies it's coating to the egg, nothing to do with what's in the nest box (unless they've been eating it) :D

thanks for replies.

I think in summary I am assuming there is nothing really wrong with the chicken, and have cleaned out their nest again. The eggs still have small bumps on the shell, but not as many as before.

Maybe it will clear up?