Chillicat

Wood chips - for free?

Just had our five ladies with cube delivered today!

Simon, from Omlet suggested that I posted the following info on the forum as he thought it was a great :idea: !

I got my woodchips FREE from a local tree surgeon. They have to pay to tip the stuff so when I called to ask where I could get it from they were happy to let me have it for nothing. :dance:

The drawback being that a load was tipped on my drive (a humungus mound of it :shock: ) and we had to ferry it to the back of the garden :roll: . We also had to take out some holly and small pine branches as none of it was graded. Other than that the stuff smelled just like pine, we didn't pay a penny and I lost 2 1/2 lb at my Rosemary Conley weigh in! 8)

Hope this helpful to someone out there! :D

Cathie x

Blimey! :oops:

When it was piled on the drive in a big heap I did notice that it was quite warm in the middle, but it's now spread over a wide area about 3 inches thick on top of soil so we think it will be ok...............won't it? The rest of it has been scattered around the garden.

Thanks for the warning!

My hubby is a tree surgeon and I have tons of the stuff - it warms up and steams which is what you should do with it - leave it in a heap to start to compost down before you use it - dont use it straight away on your garden at all and it really wont go on fire - just heats up. The blackbirds love it as it composts down and gets full of worms.