tamshoppy

POL chickens in leicestershire

Hi,

i am brand new to this forum and chicken keeping

we are having our new eglu arrive on friday and i was wondering if anyone could tell me where i might be able to get some chickens from in the leicester shire area??

i am intrested in anything family friendly we have 2 littleies so the need to be not too flighty

thank you in advance

E.J

Hello,

Im in Nottingham and getting my eglu on Friday too, so I guess they're coming on the same van!

I have been in touch wioth a really helpful lady at www.merrydalepoultry.co.uk and will probaly get some birds from her next week, reay for Easter. (Not to eat!!! Just to enjoy being off work for 5 days with!!) I`ve asked on this forum if anyone recommends her and loads of people gave very positive responses. She's at Whetstone I think. Hope that helps!!

Liam

Me too! :lol:

Just go with what you like on the day - they are all hybrids, good layers and ideal for children. The flightiest ones can be the white snowbells, although mine is fine and they are great characters! :D

Don't forget to take pictures then come back and show us - we NEED chicken pics! 8)

When I phoned she only had Sweeties (Amber Star), one Sussex, and a Pied. But is expecting more in soon!

I wasnt thinking of getting the sweeties, but they are seemingly very friendly and lay well, so i might be changing my mind..

I got my five ladies from here about ten days ago. The lady there was very helpful, and she has a nice set up there.

My sweetie is by far the friendliest of the chooks so far, she has a lovely temprement so I can highly recommend them.

I have a new Amber star as well - she is definitely the friendliest of all my new girls - loves to be picked up and stroked and is a real cutie! My Magpies are fairly friendly but my Bluebelle is not happy being caught - mind you, she is hte biggest and has a bigger comb than the other newbies so maybe she will change when she starts laying. :wink:

Karen at Merrydale is lovely ... I got my original girls from her and I have some more cochins on order for later this year. Can't recommend her enough. She is always willing to give advice over the phone or via e-mail. She is very helpful.

Thank you all for your imput and thoughts...... our eglu has been delayed until tuesday now.. But we have been over to merrydale and really liked what we saw, karen was really nice and sent the children home with a goose egg which they craddled all the way home and are now sat on the sofa giving it a cuddle ( ahh bless !!) she tells me that she should have a new delivery in next week hopefully so we will have to wait till then.. i am sooo excited and cant wait until they are in our garden ... :lol:

any way wanted to say thanks

Emily_jane

P.S what did you go for in the end Liam !!

Hello!

I still don't have any chickens... despite having a brand new purple eglu in the garden!! It's killing me! Couldnt go chicken shopping this weekend, but am hoping to go this week, currently checking the Merrydale website 47 times a day to see when the new birds are delivered, then I`m planning on going along straight away!

Think i`ve decided on a Sweetie / Amber Star, a Light Sussex, and perhaps something like a Ranger or the one that is like a pepperpot. Cant decide basically. May even stretch to 4 (I have a converter on my eglu, but think having 4 would mean I need an extension too... hmmm... thats what credit cards are for though isn't it??!)

Will report back when chickens have arrived!

Liam

Went to Merrydale Poultry today and bought a beautiful, placid Sweetie called Bettie, who we could hold, pet and hand feed staright away, and a lovely Ranger called Ginger, who makes a great family pet and is also very tame.

The set up is absolutely lovely and the owners are equally as nice. There is a great selection of chooks for first time owners right through to experienced poultry farmers. They also gave us a very helpful demonstarion on wing clipping, provided us with all the essentials and told us what to expect from our chickens. I would definetely recommend Merrydale, and for anyone driving a fair way, like us, it was well worth the wait! Happy chooking!

(purple eglu)

Bettie (white chicken) Merrydale Sweetie

Ginger GNR Merrydale Ranger

Winnie (Bluebelle) Wyandotte Bantam

Dottie (Bluebelle) Wyandotte Bantam

Babs GNR Orpington Bantam

!egg!!eggwhite!!egggreen!!eggbrown!!eggblue!!eggspeck!!eggcream!