daj198

A Badger Killed My Chicken?!

One of my hens was killed last month and I thought it was a neighbour's dog as I'd seen it in the garden before showing interest in the chickens (it was a terrier) and she had not been eaten- just biten on the neck.

But today I've seen a badger in the garden, twice, and I wonder if it could have been a badger. Has anyone heard of badger attacks on hens? If so, how can I keep it out?

Thanks

Hi, Sorry to hear about you losing your feathered friend.

My friend recently had a badger kill her only remaining chicken (she still has ducks). Seems it's not uncommon.

She wasn't even aware there was a badger in the vicinity - and it turned out to be living under her decking!!

Reading the forum makes you realise just how difficult life can be for chooks.

Thanks guys. I never really thought of a badger as a threat- I've never seen one before now! We always seem to concentrate on foxes and forget that there are lots of other predators too. I heard of a chicken being attacked by a bird of prey.

I know im likely to get shot down in flames,but i fully support the proposed Badger cull which is currently being debated by DEFRA.Since being given legal protection in the early 70's-their numbers round here have dramatically increased,but the problem is they dont have a natural predator to control their number.

and now i will duck for cover!

Badgers also kill many lambs at this time of year. They decapitate them and leave the corpse in the field. I have lost three like that so far this spring. They have culled them extensively within a certain area of the west country as an experiment relating to bovine TB and a more extensive cull is being asked for. There has been a population explosion. Twenty years ago a road kill badger was a rare site and no they are seen with regularity. With excessive populations there is obviously a pressure on food resources.....hence they are feeding on chickens and lambs.

I've lost a cock and three hens to a badger that now comes into our garden every night. It actually broke through a stock fence and smashed through the floor of the chicken coop. I have it on camera returning to take the remaining dead hen the following night. We live on Gowerin South Wales.