Mrs Frugal

V E Day

It's the 60th anniversary of V E Day next Sunday (8th May).

We're off to an open day at a local wartime airbase on Saturday and on Sunday, I'm planning a 1940s day at home - wartime food, music, entertainment (a pretty normal day for a 1940s housewife really :lol::lol: ).

Is anyone doing anything to celebrate?

I don't think there is anything going on around here :cry: Most unusual as we moved to this village from one only two miles away and we still have links with the first village, so we usually have to do things twice - Fetes, Harvest Suppers etc.(shades of Vicar of Dibley :lol: ) but there's nothing on VE Day.

Well, there's plenty here. I don't think there's a lot happening in our village of 55 inhabitants, though two years ago when we moved to our present house they held the 8 May celebrations for the surrounding area at our local church, the only time we've seen it used in all the time we've been here. Last Sunday we went to the vilage where we lived before, and they were holding the 8 May parade on 1 May for some obscure reason.

The real local celebrations were last June, marking the 60th anniversary of D-Day.

8 May is a public holiday here, though as it falls on a Sunday we don't really get a day off. Tomorrow (5 May, Ascension day) is also a public holiday so most people will be having Friday off too to make a weekend of it (faire le pont, they call it).

We've just got back from the open day at Spanhoe just up the road from us and we're freezing! Rain, sun, rain, sun, rain, sun - you get the picture! Anyway, the Spitfire was superb and loads of people in 40s clothes etc plus it was fascinating learning that 47 Dakotas full of airborne troops took off from this little airbase for Normandy on D-Day in 1944!

VE Day tea to come later - at least the house is warm!!

The 1940s Housewife has prepared a VE Day tea to authentic 1940s wartime recipes and everything's set out on the table on my Grandma's dinner service which dates from just before the war. We've got Spam sandwiches (not made with the National Loaf, thank goodness - Hitler's secret weapon (!) - but a homemade wholemeal loaf instead), home produced hard boiled eggs, corned beef sandwiches, Victory Pie (raised sausagemeat pie), eggless chocolate buns, eggless chocolate cake complete with authentic chocolate filling, sticky gingerbread, golden syrup Crunchy biscuits and dried apple rings. Not table-quakingly excessive but authentic nonetheless (apart from the homemade lemonade - lemons were as common as Hen's teeth during the war!)

VEDaytea2005.jpg

"There'll be bluebirds over the White Cliffs of Dover tomorrow, just you wait and see" :wink::lol:

The tea looks great! :D

I did a 1940s tea for my parents last year and had great fun researching possible food to include (all my Good Housekeeping books came in very useful!). I also had to search for a rabbit blancmange mould as my dad remembered having that at special teas. Luckily ebay came to the rescue!

Ummm :oops::oops::oops: - after hanging the washing out in my dress and reaslising that the slightest puff of wind would show off more than I would normally show off, the dress was swapped for typical 2005 clothes! Good job too because it was freezing on the airfield!!!