Hi everyone, I've just been up all night as you'll see if you check out my posting on the newcomers bit ( I think), generally getting over-excited about Tuesday when my five chooks and cube are arriving.

2 quick questions:

1) I want to fix log roll lawn edging all around the cube's run, to keep in Hemcore when my chooks do their kicking up thing. Should I get the 6" or the 9" high version, do you think? And if I get the 9", will I be able to see my chooks over the edge?!

2) What are your thoughts on Hemcore/Aubiose versus bark chips for the flooring material? I like the easy life as much as anyone, and am thinking also about which is easiest to clear up on cleaning day. I have a compost heap, by the way, so it can luckily all go there.

Thanks! :)

1)

I have the 6"" high and its perfectly okay - and you can still see the chooks (well apart from the feet) :wink:

2)

I use aubiose which is fab - dries out quickly if it does get a bit wet, is very light when it comes to run change time and costs about 7.50 a bale - one bale will last me about 4-6 weeks including using it in the nest box and poo tray.

I've not used bark at all so I'm sure someone else will be able to advise you on that.

Hi and welcome to the forum from me. They day the chooks arrive is just great - you will have fun. I was more excited than my kids.

I just have a few bricks around the edge of the run skirt but I think log roll is a good idea and there are some good pictures of other peoples run ideas in the gallery.

I use Auboise in the run (straight onto the grass). I find it really good & would recomend it. I do keep a shower curtain over the run to keep off the rain but won't do that in Summer so the chooks don't turn into roast chicken. I have an eglu set up so not sure how easy it is to put a cover over the cube.

I bought for rolls of 6" log roll from Morrisons - it was two rolls for 4.50 which was good. I secured it with cable ties - 100 for a £1 from B & Q. It keeps all the Aubiose in the run and not all over the lawn and path!!!

Aubiose is good stuff - and is easy to clean etc and I also use Stalosan F - and there is no smell or anything!

My local Horse shop sells it.

Louise

X