3chicks

5 Chickens in an eglu with convertor and extension

Good afternoon

At the moment I have 3 girls in an eglu with a convertor and an extension, I am thinking of getting 2 new chickens but am worried that space in the run may be a bit tight.

I was thinking I could get another extension on the eglu (I'm sure I could just about move it around the garden!!!).

The girls free range for about 1 to 2 hours a day - there is no way I could secure the garden against foxes so I just let them free range when I am out there with them doing other bits and bobs etc.

What does everyone think? I think if I added on another extension it would be big enough but thought I would ask the question as maybe another eglu owner has 5 chickens in theirs :)

Any advice greatly received.

:D

I only have two henss in the eglu with standard run at the moment (larger run being built), but thinking about the eglu size rather than the run, I would not house any more than 3 medium/large hens myself, it's too small in my opinion. :)

If considering more hens I would opt for the Cube, as it's designed to house more hens. :)

I had four hens in the Eglu + convertor + extension, and it felt about right, even though two of them were large breeds.

You don't say the size of the hens. If they are small hybrids, you could probably go up to five. It's always better to introduce two new ones rather than one.

All the same, I would think about a Cube if you can afford it.

I have 4 hens in my two green Eglus which both have extensions and converters.

There would be room in the run for one more I think, and certainly in the sleeping accommodation, but the recommendation is one nesting box per 4 hens, so that is where you might hit a snag.

Hi

Did you deciide what to do? I've got an eglu plus got a convertor at the weekend with 3 chickens (2 pepperpots and a gingernut ranger) and want extra chickens. I am thinking one more maybe.Just wondering what you decided to do?

Am looking at cube but can't afford one and love my pink eglu! :D