Tina C

Blood on egg

Cluck has this evening laid an egg with blood on it - I am hoping that this is the result of straining and a small tear so I'm not panicking but wondered if I should???

I heard some odd noises coming from the garden just before dusk and when I went out to investigate Cluck was under bushes looking sorry for herself , with a little blood on her bottom. I then found the blood streaked egg on the roosting bars (intact apart from a possible peck mark) and discovered the other girls in another part of the garden eating some clear liquid which could possibly be part of another egg? No evidence of any shell or yolk though.

We have checked Cluck's bottom and it looks OK - we sprayed her with purple spray though. Although we were ready to separate her she seemed happy to go to bed in the eglu so we let her. Don't know if we have doene the right thing though.

On top of this, 2 days ago I noticed that Jo has lost some feathers from her undercarriage (but I can't see any signs of lice/mite in the eglu/on the birds).

Having wormed the girls a couple of months ago we are on Day 3 of another course of Flubenvet as a precautionary measure. We are getting quite a lot of softies despite lots of doses of limestone, oyster shell and poultry spice. (Although on 2 days last week we got two 3-egg days from the 4 big girls so we thought things were picking up...)

Is there anything else I should be doing for my girls, who must all be under the weather, although they seem to be behaving normally.

Thanks

Hi, I don't really know what to suggest but it does sound like you're taking all the obvious precautions. You'll probably find it all comes to nothing in the end like most of these episodes do.

Keep an eye on her for any further bleeding and continue with worming. I've had a couple of softies lately from my seasoned layers. I'm putting it down to sudden changes in weather.

Hope it all settles. Keep us posted.

Thanks for your replies. Cluck has been acting as if nothing has happened this morning so we made the right decision in letting her stay with the others.

She and Jo are snuggled up in the nestbox at the moment. Will pop out to see them later (sometimes its great to work at home)