Omletina Kyckling Posted May 26, 2008 Share Posted May 26, 2008 Hi all, My cube arrives a week today and then I'm off in search of chickens to add to my flock! I spoke to a lady at Warwickshire Rare Breeds today and she was really nice and helpful and I'm thinking of going there for my new girls. Has anybody used them? What did they think? I'd planned to go to Merrydale but they've not got much in at the moment.... Any feedback gratefully received, Diane Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
moochoo Posted May 27, 2008 Share Posted May 27, 2008 I got my original girls from Warwickshire Rare Breeds and they are very good, the lady that runs it knows her stuff and has a really good selection of girls. Good luck in choosing and if you're going when it's raining take your wellies Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chuckov Posted May 27, 2008 Share Posted May 27, 2008 I'm always on the WRB website ogling the pictures and trying to decide, should I ever upgrade to a Cube, which I should buy... Decisions decisions! It's hard to know what to do - whether to support rare breeds, or to give some ex-batts a good home.... torn between the two really and I am sure there are arguments for both sides! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
New2this Posted May 27, 2008 Share Posted May 27, 2008 Hi, I bought 4 of my girls from there. The lady is lovely and her 'girls' are enormous and very healthy. They're not raised in some barn but outside in very large sheds/coops in wire enclosures. My columbines are beautiful (one's already laying blue eggs), my Bluebell is such a character (curiously the biggest chicken which lays the smallest egg, go figure ) and dearest Emily Jackson, she hasn't started laying yet but she follows me everywhere, even into my house!! So I would definitely recommend them. Have fun! Christine. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Omletina Kyckling Posted May 27, 2008 Author Share Posted May 27, 2008 Oooh, I'm excited now. She doesn't have any columbines but has some Lawford Blues which lay blue eggs. I've never heard of these - I'd have to get a couple of 10 week old ones and keep them separate until they are big enough to cope with my girls..... I can't wait...!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Frugal Posted May 27, 2008 Share Posted May 27, 2008 Exciting, isn't it, Diane . I remember being that excited when I went to pick up the Sussex Girls . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chili Posted May 27, 2008 Share Posted May 27, 2008 I got two of my girls from there Sarah my columbine lays lovely blue eggs and Morticia my sussex noir lays beautiful very dark brown eggs. They are both healthy chucks with lovely feathers and the columbine is my friendliest hen Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sam42 Posted May 27, 2008 Share Posted May 27, 2008 I got two of mine from their too, including my enormous Mendlesham Blue (Bluebell) who is a real character. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MedusA Posted May 28, 2008 Share Posted May 28, 2008 I got my Treacle (Suffolk Noir) and Toffee (Suffolk Blacktail) from there last year. They are lovely healthy girls. They are both reliable layers. Toffee has laid every day for the last 27 days, bless her! They didn't have any pure breeds for sale when we visited, so I didn't get to take a very good look at them, I'm afraid. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ange1 Posted May 28, 2008 Share Posted May 28, 2008 Hi Dianne! You're right Karen at Merrydale hasn't got much in at the moment! Only Black Rock left! I will have a look on the WRB site too ,as I don't get my cube until end of June and I need to know what's what!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...