bookippsandcrew

introducing rabbits

I have been trying to introduce two rabbits to each other for some weeks now with the aim of them both living together in the eglu. I have got to the point where they spend time together in the day and although they aren't aggressive neither do they cuddle up and seem best chums. My problem is i'm unsure at what point it is safe to just leave them to it permanantly. They are a male and female, both neutered. The male is totally relaxed and great with her, but she often stamps her feet and runs away from his approachs alot. Recently he has been mounting her so his head is at her tail end and they stay a short while till she runs off and he just lies down, she doesn't seem upset she just seems to get a bit grumpy. As much as she makes out like she's not altogether happy in there, when I try to remove her she hates it. Should I just leave her overnight with him? I'd be gratefull for any advice on this as i'm a little stumped. Thanks. :roll:

Neutered bunnies of any sex will still mount (it's a dominance thing much like chicken pecking orders) - my two bunnies are neutered sisters and they still go at it hammer and tongs, but always with the same, more dominant bunny on top :shock::roll:

It sounds like your two are ok to be left together full time now; you seem to have introduced them responsibly and carefully. Just keep an eye on them for a bit. How long is it since your buck had his pockets picked? If it hasn't been long, then he might still have some of those nasty boy hormones coursing through him, which would be making him a bit more frisky than normal. :roll: Boys Huh?

cheers Claret it's good to hear anothers view. Jasper had his op well over a year ago now so from that point it shouldn't be a prob, if it's mating behaviour he's trying to produce then he's one confused bunny as he is doing it totally the wrong way round!! :shock:

Will put them together in the morning and keep my fingers crossed, if no worries during the day i'll leave em to it and prob be like an over anxious parent trying to spy on them from my bedroom window all night and unable to sleep just in case!!! keep your fingers crossed and watch this space!! :)

Clare, I am still on the rabbit quest. The Ross rabbits are lovely but not due any mini lop babies till July. Also they want a £20 deposit now just for my interest, they have not even mated yet :?

I thought I had found 2 lovely orange mini's from a breeder in Bolton. But she seems very reluctant to tell me the sex. She thinks one on its own is best, which I know from you is not right.

She just asked what would I prefer, girl or boy. I think she does not know!!

I said either boy and girl together or 2 girls. She then said 2 boys are best.

I think I will give her a miss.

The hunt goes on :? I know I want 2 orange mini's or fawns.

Keep looking Clare and blow that woman out - she doesn't know what she's talking about. Two boys are fine so long as they're littermates and both get done promptly when they hit puberty or there'll be fighting. Two girls are ideal. Mine are fawn, well one is, the other has a 'harlequin' stripe. You're welcome to come round and see them, see what the care entails, or even borrow them for a few days in their pink Rablu so you can see how you get on with it. I will be around most of Monday if you want to pop over - they need their claws clipping and need a brush, so you can see what goes on if you like.