clucky clarke's

help...i'm being bitten!!!

Hi everyone,

thanks for your messages and advice since i joined. I have had a really good day with the girls today. They have started running to me when they see me and are eating out of my hand. However, i wore a glove because i am worried it will hurt if they peck my fingers. Will i get used to being pecked?

Also, I need some more advice. since i have been around the girls today, i have been bitten several time and i am really itchy . Apart from fleas, is there anything else that they could have, that could bite me? Please help. I am off for a long shower now to hopefully stop the itching. i really hope i am not allergic to my girls, i am really attached to them already. Thanks kelly.x

It doesn't hurt when they peck you and you quickly get used to it.

I was being eaten by midges for a few days with the wet weather. It was particularly noticeable when I was with the girls but I assumed it was because they are at the damp end of the garden. I wasn't handling them particularly. I would have thought it unlikely that, even if they have lice, the lice would bite you as these creepies are usually species specific. Presumably, the lice would have to crawl across onto you when you hold a hen? I don't know if chooks get fleas (which could jump across), I've never seen it mentioned. So, I can't really answer your question about biting things, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable will be along to answer.

However, I do know a bit on allergies. Can you see actual bites that itch or do you have itchy patches? Any that are raised into wheals? Most bird allergies take the form of an asthma-like wheeziness, but it may be possible to get an eczema or hives type reaction I would think.

Hope this helps...

It doesn't hurt when they peck you and you quickly get used to it. .

I find that it hurts! :shock::lol:

Oh? I must have very polite hens then :lol::lol: they just peck the food out of my hands and don't really peck me at all. Also, so far my bare toes in sandals have been safe. My hubby went in the run without his shirt on and while he was crouching down letting some of the girls feed from his hands, one of the others took a tour around him and had a peck at a mole on his back :lol::lol::lol: It gave him quite a shock but didn't hurt.

When I first got mine their pecking didn't really hurt - they were very polite.

But now 6 weeks later....wow, they can give a really sharp nip. Suppose that's because they only live for food and will have a bite into anything that looks tasty - including freckles and moles on my arm!

Not quite as bad as the cat scratching me though ....that draws blood.

If I get pecked, a very rude word usually follows ... I find it really hurts!

However, they usually only peck if I'm poking treats in between the bars and I'm not quick enough - I can reach into the run for the Grub etc and they don't bother me these days, since they started laying they are more docile. I still won't risk bare feet though. :shock:

Hi everyone,

well thanks for the advice. I am glad that some of you agree that being pecked hurts, i don't feel like such a wimp now!! I have just been out to the girls to put them to bed and they ran back out of the house to meet me, so i had to pick them up to put them back in. I did this successfully and felt really pleased with myself for picking them up without hesitation. Then i thought whilst i was doing so well and i was feeling brave, i would give them a quick stroke whilst they were up on their perch. This was following advice that chickens are more docile at night time....this obviously doesn't apply to Audrey :twisted: . She had a right good peck at my finger :shock: ....ouch!!! "avoid sudden movement" the advice books state, however it's hard to react slowly with a sharp beak and chicken hanging off your finger!!!! I hope Audrey and dolly become more placid once they start laying. Do they change alot once they lay? I really hope so cos claire is lovely, but dolly and audrey will need an asbo if their bad behaviour carries on!!

kelly.x

My White Star is really flighty and couldn't be caught for love or money when we first got her. She has become more curious now and once she started crouching we could pick her up and actually stroke her. I thought she would really panic but she has calmed down a lot and let us, even let me look under her wings for lice etc. So yes they do calm down :wink: