Cazjohn

Yellowy/greeny runny poo/ Sad Update

Sorry about the Sunday morning breakfast time poo question!

Scrawny was not quite herself yesterday, she is usually first into any treats etc but was not really interested.

She spent quite a lot of time sitting and sleeping - over the last week she has spent more time in the nesting box although she hasn't laid for months I wondered if she was going broody?

Today she has a really mucky bum green,yellow and white.

I finished a dose of flubenvet 10 days ago but I'm wondering if I should re-worm her if so how much etc?

Edited by Guest

Our Pepperpot (Margaret) has also had strange yellow/green pooh. In addition she has been very off colour-positively lethargic- and has also spent most of the last two or three days sat in the eggbox section of the Eglu.

We have got both chickens out this morning and Marge is eating a bit of grass and some treats, although she has spent a lot of her time preening herself.

Does anyone have any advice that they would like to share?

Scrawny is approx 2 years old (ex-batt) she's a bit fluffed up, resting more and sitting away from the others.

Shes just done a watery, yellowy stringy yucky poo!

She hasn't laid for ages when she did lay it was mostly softies - no matter how much calcium I gave her!

We have had Marge and Sheila for two years. Marge has manged to eat something now and has just put our spaniel Murphy in his place!,so thats usual behaviour, but her cluck sounds different,almost as if she has tonsilitis!!.Do chickens get sore throats? She has also laid an egg this morning which was normal.

Maybe she is just fed up with the overcast weather! Anyway husband has been despatched to purchase worm treatment and mite treatment.Heres hoping.

Thanks for direction to the broody hen article.Having now read that and witnessed at the same time some aggression-all noise and no action- towards our other hen Sheila,we suspect broodiness is the answer.

I think our two give us more concern than our children/granddaughter!!

Thanks again, with relief

Charlie and Sally

ps whats the best stuff for mites and the most effective way to use it?

Personally I like Barrier Red Mite Powder.

It smells divine.

You apply it to the chickens nether regions and under their wings.

I also apply it to the roosting bars, especially the ends, and to the Aubiose which I use in the nesting box.

Sorry to hear about Scrawny, we lost one of our ex-batts last night as well, and only a few miles from you! I'm a bit sad, but I'm more glad that wen her end came it was somewhere nice and she was a chicken, not just a knackered out egg laying machine flung on a compost heap.

Mrs B

Thanks for your kind words guys she will be greatly missed by us because she was such a great character! But probably not missed by the rest of the gang because even though she was so tiny she was a terrible bully!

I completely echo your thoughts Mrs B x