redhotchick Posted June 1, 2008 Share Posted June 1, 2008 Hi, I planted 3 Asparagus plants this year, I wasn't expecting them to produce many spears and I know you aren't supposed to eat them until at least year two BUT each plant has only produce one spear each! I thought they would produce at least 2 or 3. I've left them to go ferny. I'm carefully hand weeding around them. Can anyone advise me what I can feed them with, (organic please) and any suggestions for a weed suppressing mulch? Thanks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted June 1, 2008 Share Posted June 1, 2008 You can't go wrong with seaweed solution. The organic gardening catalogue sell it in small bottles. I would mulch with well rotten chicken manure and compost. Anything really to keep the weeds down. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 1, 2008 Share Posted June 1, 2008 I use the seaweed liquid as well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted June 1, 2008 Share Posted June 1, 2008 They sound as they should be at their age - as they get older you will get more stems - yr 3 before you should start cutting, but then always leave 1-2 stems - they should carry on producing then until 10 yrs. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redhotchick Posted June 1, 2008 Author Share Posted June 1, 2008 Thanks for replies. I googled "organic gardening catalogue" and got lost on their website for a bit! I must not buy any more seeds just yet! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tara.F Posted June 2, 2008 Share Posted June 2, 2008 you can get seaweed feed anywhere Asparagus also appreciate a light sprinkling of salt (they naturally grow by the sea) and this will also deter slugs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...