kirbyhouse

Make this pain go away

Hello All,

Life is so hectic I dont check in as much as I used to. However, when all is mad I have my girls to talk to and calm me back down. Theyre good like that arent they?

I posted recently about soft shells and how I was worried about my ladies. I posted it in the wrong place and "Ooops, word censored!"ody could reply. Twister started to act strangley and I didnt know what to do. Today she died. She laid her head in my hand and closed her eyes. She just went to sleep and didnt wake up. She was the first to lay an egg for us - what an amazing feeling! I still love to find them in the eglu - dont think I'll ever tire of it.

I still have my lovely Zinger and Popcorn but Twister was head honcho - will they be OK without her? I'm not sure I will. Its a bizarre sort of love we all have for our girls isnt it? Not everone understands.

I hurt so much. I lost my 2 bovans a while ago but I hadnt had them long. I got over it. This doesnt feel like it will go away.

Take care of your girls and love them.

\Sal

Oh you poor thing.

I think everyone here will know exactly what you are going through - it is amazing how attached we get to our chooks - if anyone said that I could cry over the death of a chicken 4 years ago I would have thought htye were mad.

The chickens are great for making us stop and take stock rather than always rushing rushing rushing.

At least Twister went peacefully and you can know that you cared for her.

The other two will be ok without her - but you might think of getting another 1 or 2 chooks so that you arent left with just one when the time comes for Zinger and Popcorn.

Big hugs to take the pain away

xx

Sorry to hear about Twister :cry:

At least she had someone who loved and cared for her when she passed away

A huge hug is sent your way

Take care

Oh you poor thing.

The other two will be ok without her - but you might think of getting another 1 or 2 chooks so that you arent left with just one when the time comes for Zinger and Popcorn.

Big hugs to take the pain away

xx

I'd like to adopt a couple of Battery Hens but dont have enough room for another eglu. Is it advisable to introduce new ones straight away or would that not work? Any suggestions?

By the way, thanks to everyone for their kind words. I was OK today until they both ran to me and I looked for a third - she didnt come. It'll get better.

Sal x

I dont think that it is a good idea to put battery hens in with existing girls straight away - they will be in a pretty poor state and shell shocked and need a few days just to get used to being outside of a cage. There is some good advice about getting new hens

Hang on I'll go and find the links