clarissahen

Scaly Leg...

:? Two of the ex-batts have suspicious looking small rusty crusts on their legs....is it SCALY LEG???? I am told this is a disaster and will be transmitted to my dear Clarissa and they will all get crusty-legged and be unable to walk and ....aaaghhhh! Too dreadful to contemplate...Anyone know what to do?

Best thing to do for scaly leg is wash their legs with surgical spirit for 2 or 3 days (as a precaution its always best to do all of your girls) then cover the legs with vaseline. The vaseline suffocates the mites. Look also for an anti parasite treatment, one that you can administer onto the back of their necks and kills all mites. Your vet should be able to advise and a good local poultry supplier also.

Good luck

troy

Eprinex is an excellent product, but it is not licensed for poultry in the UK.

Ta Egluntine, you beat me to it.

The scales will still look raised after the mites have cleared, the crusts go though. The scales will eventually moult off.

Please don't worry, it's not a reflection on your animal husbandry - they pick the up from wild birds. My Sadie had it.

I've been in your postion, I got 7 bantams from a friend and they ALL had scaly leg so did some of the big chooks, what I did was I went to the vets with a poorly chicken, who sadly died, but I asked the vet and he gave me this treatment. I now have to clean my chooks legs, then dip a toothbrush in the treatment and brush upwards from the scales ALL over the leg. You do this on day 1, 14 and 28. So you miss a week each time. I had a chicken that couldn't walk properly, but now she can nearly walk normally. A few more treatments and she will be fine! Take one to the vets to have it checked out and they will "hopefully" give you the treatment! hope i helped! :lol:

I've been in your postion, I got 7 bantams from a friend and they ALL had scaly leg so did some of the big chooks, what I did was I went to the vets with a poorly chicken, who sadly died, but I asked the vet and he gave me this treatment. I now have to clean my chooks legs, then dip a toothbrush in the treatment and brush upwards from the scales ALL over the leg. You do this on day 1, 14 and 28. So you miss a week each time. I had a chicken that couldn't walk properly, but now she can nearly walk normally. A few more treatments and she will be fine! Take one to the vets to have it checked out and they will "hopefully" give you the treatment! hope i helped! :lol:

Do you remember what you were given to treat them Esta?