grasshopper30

Egg Bound ?

Not an expert as haven't had my chickens long and not had this problem but....

I think signs are that she is visiting the nesting box a lot and nothing is happening. Other signs are the general ones of appearing hunched, with tail down and not her normal self. If you pick her up and feel along the sides of her abdomen you should be able to feel an egg if there is one that is stuck - apparantly it is obvious to feel :?

Hope this helps :wink:

Have you felt her abdomen?

Is there an egg there?

Can you see the egg as you look at her vent?

Is she straining to lay?

If yes, then she may be egg bound.

You could hold her carefully over some steam for a few minutes. this may relax her muscles enough for the egg to pop out.

You could carefully rub some olive oil or lubricating jelly around her vent. Don't go tinkering too far inside her though, you may break the egg inside her....which would mean an urgent visit to the vet tomorrow.

A dollop of olive oil into her beak will eventually appear at the other end and may help grease the egg out.

On the other hand the "hunched and subdued" attitude and the fact that her comb has diminished could indicate that she has worms. this can put them off lay too

Has she been wormed recently? If not, and you have examined her not found any obvious signs of her being egg bound, then maybe a course of Flubenvet is what she needs.

No I can't feel anything and her vent looks okay, she seems to be a bit brighter and put up spirited defence during the inpsection.

I've put her in a large cardboard box with some straw in a warm quiet corner and will keep an eye on her, if she is still off in the morning I'll take her to see the Vet.

Ah now her poo is a bit off and no she hasn't been wormed recently. What would you recommend for worms?

Edited by Guest

grasshopper30 wrote:

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

???

Patience is a virtue

Not with a sick animal!

She it much better now, I used Verm X in the end and all seems well.

Can you eat the eggs when Verm X is in use? It doesn't say anything on the label about not eating them.