i've been waiting for my eglu 2 wks but finally here.

:) me and my partner are trying to sort out the area but cannot agree

he wants to put slabs on the bottom of it then chippings i think it will be a

lot of work for nothing.So any advice would be great

it's going onto soil.

In summer I put my eglu straight on the grass and move it twice a week.

In winter, they are on the same patch of grass, which has Auboise (horse bedding) straight on the ground (with cover on top of run).

Some people on this forum use slabs, or gravel, wood chips, Auboise. Have a look at the photos on this link for some inspiration.

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12663#top

I've got my run on soil and it works really well :D . I put down a thick layer of hemcore which the girls just love scratching about in.

Every six weeks or so I rake off the top couple of inches for compost or mulch, sprinkle Stalosan F and garden lime down, and a new layer of hemcore.

I also cover my run when it's wet so it stays nice and dry.

(...) Every six weeks or so I rake off the top couple of inches for compost or mulch (...)

A few people have said that they do this but I'm still trying to get my head around it, so to speak. Does the top couple of inches become thick so you can do this? It's just that I thought the chooks would scratch around in it so it would be difficult to remove just the top inch or so. If you follow what I mean. Any clarification would be great as this is what I'm proposing to do with my run.

Any clarification would be great as this is what I'm proposing to do with my run.

You start off with a thick layer of hemcore. Over the weeks the girls kick and scratch it about so it becomes mixed up with the soil.

After 6 or whatever weeks, I rake up the top layer (soil/hemcore mixed), shovel it into a tubtrug and chuck it in the compost or round shrubs.

You're obviously leaving some hemcore behind but it just kind of composts itself into the soil.

If you don't remove a couple of inches, each time you added hemcore the level of the "floor" would raise and your girls would eventually end up with a cricked neck :lol: .

Hope that has clarified it for you :D .

Hope that has clarified it for you :D .

It certainly has ANH. Somehow I got to thinking you had five or six inches of hemcore and then you were doing some sort of precision raking by removing just the top one or two six weeks later... :roll: