GemHallam

Chickens eating droppings

Hello,

We got our hens two weeks ago and everything is going great but I have noticed for the last few days how clean the run is and whilst watching them one of them did a pooh and then two of them jumped on it eating all the little stones from it. They have flint grit in a feeder and I throw some over the run floor too and I see them eating it so I don't understand why they are doing it. I have three hens and I think it is just the two laying hens that are most frantic about pouncing on it, the other one who hasn't started laying yet doesn't seem too bothered. I haven't noticed the grit in their pooh before - I think its just one hen that seems to have the little stones in the droppings but I am not entirely sure.

Can any one tell me if this will stop or if I can do anything to stop them doing it. They have layers pellets adhoc, grit ad hoc, a small handful of corn each day and I will give them an extra treat like pumkin seeds, small amounts of cauliflower or grapes some days.

Please can anyone help.

Thank you very much

Gemma

I haven't heard of this before but someone should be along soon who has.

It does sound a bit strange doesn't it, especially as it is the ones who are laying that are eating the grit from the droppings.

The only idea I have is that they possibly know that they need more calcium for the egg production and they are finding the grit for that, as for why they are eating it out of the poo, who knows. I would give them limestone flour as a precaution to calcium defiency, if it is not this, it won't hurt anyway. I am going to use it all the time for all of my chicks, these ones and any I get in the future because we have had an awful time due to illness caused by calcium deficiency. It is worth a try anyway, you can get from equestrian shops and it is not expensive.

Hopefully someone else has seen this strange behaviour and will be along shortly with some more ideas for you to try......

Hello and welcome. Do you think it might be corn they are eating out of the poo? I've noticed that sometimes when they poo (usually right by my feet!) that there is, what looks like, corn in it. They will peck at it occasionally but it's the only thing I could think it was!

Thanks for replying - there could be some corn but they definetly go for the stones aswell as I can hear them pecking at them as well as see them. I will get some limestone flour as a precaution - how do I feed that? Just dusted over their pellets?

I'm wondering whether they are bored? they are in a house and run with extension designed for 6 full sized hens and I have three hybrids so should be ok. They scratch all the time so I move it every two days. At the weekend I take away the extension run and give them a bigger area using netting and seem really happy but in the week I am at work so they get confined again and in general don't look as content as they do at the weekend or maybe its me feeling guilty I can't let them out more!! :roll: