Egg Lou Posted June 12, 2008 Share Posted June 12, 2008 Yes I was bit concerned about the run as doesn't look fox proof at all.. but hen they putting them away at night.. I think! I would have loved ex batts but family had concerns.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
*mummy_hen* Posted June 12, 2008 Author Share Posted June 12, 2008 Oh Egg Lou - your hens are lovely but maybe in the future you could think about it again - they are so fab. How are they getting on by the way? x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egg Lou Posted June 12, 2008 Share Posted June 12, 2008 Yes I'm sure I will as every story I hear on here from people like yourself has me weeping like a child Mine are great thank you! real characters and feels like I've had them 6 months rather than 6 days! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 12, 2008 Share Posted June 12, 2008 i got some lamb's liver from my butcher today and we had a nice chat and he asked me how i was going to cook it etc. You don't get that in a supermarket! I remember going into Morrisons to buy some fish once and didn't have a clue how to cook it. On the TV ads they make out that the staff on the fish counter are really happy chappies who will help you choose the right fish and tell you how to cook it. I asked the guy at the fish counter what the best way to cook a piece of cod was and for how long, he just grunted, pointed to a chart on the wall (which was gobbldy gook to me) and walked off! I remember going to the butchers with my mum when I was little and he always chatted to her and he had sweets on the counter for the children, we couldn't wait to go so we could have a sweet It's not just the free range aspect, it's not just the superior taste, it's also the personal touch that I like when I go to the butcher. I'm not afriad to ask about the meat and how to cook it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nature Chick Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 Who gives a #@?* what it tastes like - I do. Luckily I'm convinced that my lot will taste far nicer than something with hock burns and breast blisters. I do think its important though as if you want to convince people that its better then its another argument in free ranges favour What I meant was that even if someone told me that intensively reared chicken tasted better I wouldn't touch it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 Those people have forgotten what food should taste like and would obviously rather chew on something with all the taste and texture of cardboard. I thought the way HFW summed up the results of the blind taste were spot on. They are just not used to the taste of a real chicken. While I think it is important to educate people in animal welfare and where their food comes from, there is always going to be a market for bargain basement food, whether it's produced in ethically-questionable ways is simply not an issue for some. Also, there is simply not enough land for everyone to eat free range meat without importing. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chili pepper Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 Poet, I know exactly what you mean. I was in Morrisons and asked the butcher if they had any bones for my dogs to which he replied that all the meat comes in deboned and ready to pack, I'm sure on the advert it shows happy chaps actually doing some butchering!! Also our lovely local butcher and fishmonger really know their stuff. If I tell him what I am planning to cook he will advise to what cut of meat would be the best suited, I've now used a few cuts that I would never of bought from a supermarket such as beef shin (delicious stewed for about 5/6 hours with garlic, rosemary, lots of pepper and a whole bottle of red wine). Also skirt steak for pies, absolutely delicious. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chocchick Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 I'm part way through the programme. I was close to tears watching the man carry the chickens upside down and didn't watch much further. I'd like to think things are changing, I read "Shopped" recently about how supermarkets operate. I think it is generally ignorance of farming methods and the low price which makes people reluctant to change. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chili pepper Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 I,ve read Shopped by Joanna Blythman too. Absolutely fascinating book, a real eye opener. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
KarmaMama Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 I think the only way to get people used to proper food again is to start with our children, we had a twenty year glitch and a generation fell through the net so to speak, but if the schools take on the Jamie Oliver approach then we may get somewhere. (Though how they will manage free range chicken on 37p per child per day is a completely different story) But at least they would start to taste real foot rather than bread crumbed paste. J x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 Poet, I know exactly what you mean. I was in Morrisons and asked the butcher if they had any bones for my dogs to which he replied that all the meat comes in deboned and ready to pack, I'm sure on the advert it shows happy chaps actually doing some butchering!! Also our lovely local butcher and fishmonger really know their stuff. If I tell him what I am planning to cook he will advise to what cut of meat would be the best suited, I've now used a few cuts that I would never of bought from a supermarket such as beef shin (delicious stewed for about 5/6 hours with garlic, rosemary, lots of pepper and a whole bottle of red wine). Also skirt steak for pies, absolutely delicious. there's just no comparison is there? I look forward to going to the butchers! I'll bear those cuts in mind and google for some recipes, thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
..lay a little egg for me Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 But at least they would start to taste real foot rather than bread crumbed paste. Real foot? I suppose that's all they can afford at 37p a day! [/i] Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...