clovis

Bare,bloody,yellow pus from vent

Hello

Our chickens have just started laying. One layed it first egg today, but we have found it with a bleeding vent area. I checked just now and it also has a lot of yellowy pus type liquid coming from the vent area. The other chickens started pecking it so we have seperated them for now. Could this be because the first egg was too big? Should I bathe the area with warm water and keep and eye on the chicken or does she need to see a vet.

Not really sure what to do, haven't found anything on this yet?

Thanks.

Hello Clovis and welcome to the forum, sorry that it had to be under these circumstances though.

It's hard to tell without seeing her, but it may be part of a retained egg inside her, and the others have caused the bloodiness by pecking at it. The only other thing I can think of is that it may be diarrhoea...

You did well to isolate her, bathe it with warm water with tea tree oil and apply some Sudocreme type stuff if you have it, or vet wound powder or diluted Citricidal.

Keep her away from the others and warm. Try to stop her from laying any further eggs by darkening her surroundings and keeping her on short rations of water and just corn or wheat, no pellets for ther moment. Just keep an eye on her and feel for her temperature (they are warmer than us). Feel her abdomen and check that it isn't filling up with fluid.

Unless it rights itself in say 24 hours or so, I'd suggest a trip to the vet.

I hope that she gets better soon.

Edited by Guest

I was wondering too - any change?

Again today, yellow liquid from the opening. WE're wondering if this could be

the egg product with no shell. All day yesterday she was 'pooing' normally but today this.

I will have to clean her up again later, just can't let her mix with the others.

I am wondering if it could be some kind of prolapse, just not really sure when looking at her. Can't really see anything that would need pushing in, but the area is quite enlarged.

I'm goinf to google for pictures just to see if I can find anything.

A prolapse would be very obvious as the laying tackle turns itself inside out and very swollen and messy.

It sounds as if there is some sort of blip in the egg formation. The yellow liquid is probably yolk.

If she had been passing this quantity of pus for a number of days she would show signs of being very ill indeed.

I'd be inclined to take her to the vet for a check up to be on the safe side.