rusky123

Bad news - Update! Good News!

Norris hatched about 2pm today, very weak, but still seems to manage to hurl himself from one side of incubator to the other.He is cheeping away like crazy. So glad my little GDs saw him half hatched, a good lesson in life, I know a few teenagers who does not know that a chicken is a bird :shock: . 3rd eggs membranes are very tough, have got a dropper and moistened them to try and help a little. If it hatches my children want to call it Blanche.4th egg very quiet. What do you think about lending a helping hand to 3rd egg?.

Percy is getting on well, LOL he looks like a multicoloured penguin. I think he is lonely in the brooder, hope Norris drys out soon, and can join him. Feel like a 1st time Mum again, XX Moyna PS got to learn how to post photos.

Hi Moyna

A little help is OK but generally, if the hatchling can't get out of the shell then it is not really a survivor and amy have problems once it has been helped out. I've helped chicks before and it's always been a problem.

There is a STICKY about how to post photos......and how to resize them so that they aren't too big. It's all quite easy to do once you get the hang of it :D

Both bits of info. are in this section.............

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=45

Edited by Guest

Blanch has hatched, no problems, GDS were here to see it :D:D , thrilled to bits. She is as big as Percy. Norris can stand now but still weak compared to the other 2. Worried about him. Going to put Blanch in the brooder with Percy tonight, she has fluffed up well and really strong. I might keep Norris in incubator until tomorrow. I have been feeding him and giving water. Power cut today for 3 1/2 hours did not help. Percy really needs company, we have had him out of brooder for short moments, the sound of his feet on wood floors is so funny as he follows me around. He is really feisty, must be a girl!. I know nature must take its course, and its a hard lesson to learn, but glad I moistened Blanches egg. A few drops of water to get a healthy duckling. I would not have helped anymore. Bought a chick drinker for the brooder ( hamster cage in big plastic box), anglepoise lamp and loads of newspaper and kitchen roll. XX all Moyna

Hiya, I see your topics were posted a while ago now, but had to answer anyway. I hope you did get some joy from your eggs.

I have a Wirehaired Pointer who, like your Vizsla killed one of my ducks. :cry: I had incubated them from eggs so were was very special too. Bill my pointer had been introduced from babies and all was fine. But one day, as hubby was moving run and ducks he sneaked in and grabbed one. I was furious, but as you said is totally instinctive and he is very hunt driven. Have forgiven him now and also forgiven myself for putting him in that position. :oops: Like I said, I hope you had a happy ending to your story.

Thank You Helen, I adore my Viz, and if you have a wirehair you know exactly how I feel. Same dog.Instinct is a very powerfull thing, but I am the Boss. Now have 6 ducklings, 2 are 2 months old, the others are 10 days old, found Viz pointing at little ones, smacked him on nose!. Feel so guilty.After he damaged my beautiful adult runners and I had to have them put down I hit him, gut instinct. He is still wary of me. But I assert my right as leader of pack. My Viz is the most well behaved obedient dog you could wish for, he has learned not to bounce on the cats, grandkiddies, elderly Mum etc., but I cannot get him off his birding instinct. My fault, encouraged him to get those nasty magpies.Glad my 2 new runners are black, he avoids black birds. Local ravens and rooks give him hell since he killed their chicks. I was attacked by them a few weeks ago, got a little gash on my head. LOL, my new 4 babies are supposed to be Aylsburies, no way. 2 crosses of somesort, 1 Khaki Cambell, did not hatch exploded fron egg l :D ooks like a tennis ball with black tail and head( Fred Eliot) and a bright yellow duckling, Albert Tatlock aka Paris Hilton. I swear it poses for photos. :D . Appreciate your reply, means a lot to me. X Moyna

Hi Moyna, don't like the sound of those black birds where you live!

My wire is totally bird obsessed except for the big black ones too! Wagtails are his particular favourite, swallows too. I have two parrots and he is terrified of them, he skulks out of the room on his belly whenever they appear. You mustn't blame yourself for Viz's birdiness because of encouraging it with magpies, that is just their way. Am now doing gundog training with him which has helped with his bird chasing slightly.

I got my 1st batch of eggs from ebay, only one of the six hatched and little Sportacus died exactly a week later. :cry: He was meant to be an Aylesbury but was a tiny, weak little stripey Mallard.

Now have 3 lovely Ayleburys that are laying like mad, I can't keep up with them. Am thinking of adding to the number as 2 of them have paired up leaving the 3rd a little lonely I think. Nice to talk, H.

So very pleased for you Helen, missing my white ducks running around garden, have you ever tried to put black ducks to bed in the dark?.:D:D:D:D Glad you have your Aylburies. Miss the eggs like crazy!, I have a restaurant and used to make my real pasta with the eggs, fantastic,the pasta tastes really good!. LOL as far as big black birds are concerned, live in a place called Ravenhill, its very steep, lots of BIG black birds, recon its a well named place. I have never thought of training my Viz as a gundog. I trained him well as a family dog, even tho I was told VERY VERY gentle training. Missed that one out a few times, He put me in hospital 3 times, none of it his fault, just accidents. So proud of my 80+ year old Mum who shows off HER dog to all her cronies, Come, Down, Roll over, give me your paw. I am looking into re-training. Anyway might have an Aylesbury out of this hatch, Albert Tatlock aka Paris Hilton,beak and feet turned pink yesterday. I have got 1 Khaki Cambell, Fred Elliot, tennis ball with Mohawk and black tail, Emily, a total cross, and Minnie, poor thing is blind in 1 eye, yet still gets around. Just love ducks!, and my Viz. When I bought this clutch of eggs off e-bay they were advertised as Aylsbury duck eggs, small print said 2 drakes were a Khaki and aylsbury. Do not mind,love any sort of duck, just a little cross that an advertiser so misrepresented his main ad!.

You shall have to try to post some pics, though if you are anything like me that is easier said than done!

Couldn't believe after posting my post to you the other day, I was in duck house. Went out of house into the run where they were all happily eating with Bill my dog stood amongst them. I couldv'e died! It had been pouring with rain, and I had run in and not shut the door properly. The amazing thing was that nothing awful had happened and his training is obviously working on the LEAVE IT front. Was so cross with myself.

I now have 4 of my Aylesbury eggs in the incubator so we shall see what happens. :D

Raining Helen, No way !!!!. Have some fab pics,but turned a bit of a technophobe lately, nothing to do with my 56th birthday :D. Used to be a lab tech in the 60s and 70s no new technology was to big for me, but still stuck to my trusty slide rule instead of one of those new fangled calculator things ! Lol,I was ony 19, how times have changed!. DDs scottie was lodging here the time my ducks were killed, and although he is a fab dog noticing a change in his personality when he sees ducks. His name is Basil, we call him Victor Meldrew. I might have been blaming my Viz by mistake.

So glad nothing bad happened when Bill got amongst your ducks. and good luck with the hatch. The little blind one of mine is fab and getting on well, there seems to be down stuck across one eye,but since his first swim he has got a lot feistier, first to the food, and so friendly, can also see an eye glinting under the down.

There is a dog training school down the road from me, guard pet or agility. It is well known, might give them a ring. Budweiser is the most biddable dog, so proud of him. He is amazing on his walks. All the older men walking their wives small dogs want to throw his ball for him. The troublesome teens say what a fab dog, can we pet him. These are the teenagers who used to attack me and my elderly Beardies in the park. I was even cautioned once by the police for retaliating!!.I was really scared, hit the motorbiker across his helmet before he ran down a 15 year old dog, illegal bike, he ended up with a trashed bike,he landed in ditch.I was to blame even tho he tried to run my old dog over,on a very narrow path,and driver was only 13. Ended up surrounded by about 15 teens, all baying for blood. Hit one of them with chain lead, threw stones at others..Rescued by neighbours and fellow dog walkers.Bud is a "real dog", he is a total joy.He will protect me.He could see the head of a collie poking over the hill on one of todays walks, Bud went into point. I worried myself sick until his tail went into rattlesnake mode. Such a sociable animal. Saw an ad for Vizsla pups in local paper tonight, tempted!, but reasoning has taken over. Sorry I have gone on a bit too long,a lot came off my chest there, that day has stuck in my mind. Felt so totally alone, and so scared.

No don't be sorry for your rant! What with the crows AND horrible teenagers where you live, I think you must have more stressful walks than me!

I have had trouble with silly young boys on scramblers too where I live. Fortunately, I wasn't alone and my dogs were on lead. They are little horrors. Not the dogs, the boys!

On the subject of puppy Viszlas, I am also thinking of adding another pup to my brood - another Wire probably. If you did decide to get another Viz, do your research as a friend of mine (dog behaviourist) has been getting lots of Viz's lately on her books. They have become quite fashionable and lots are being bred purely for money rather than temperament etc at the mo. Am sure you would want one as lovely as your Budweiser.

Hope your little blind one is well. Don't think any of my incubated eggs are fertile :) oops I meant :( . Helen.

So sorry about the eggs Helen. Hope everything goes OK. I was devasteted when all of Fizzes eggs started to smell. :( . My 4 new ones went for their 1st proper swin this week, they loved it. Percy and Blanche were not amused, its their pond, they are only a few weeks older but are trying to rule the roost. Minnie, aka Horatio, seems to have done well and I can see an eye glinting under the down. Its their 1st night out tonight, they are in a secure run with a small house, but they will outgrow it soon. My viz has been remarkably well behaved, proud of him. I hope this breed does not become fashionable. My breeder is on the phone if I have a problem and cares about the breed. I have a daughter getting married next week and after that I will post some photos of my lovely ducks. Take care, Moyna