rusky123

Bad news - Update! Good News!

Came home from work this evening about 9.30 - someone had left the pen gate open today. Vet just left, Fizz had died defending her eggs ,Vera and Tyrone have just had to be put down. I am so very upset. We all loved those ducks.Vet was so very kind.I actually hit my Vizla, who I thought was the bestest well trained dog in the world. I have managed to rescue 7 of Fizzes eggs.3 or 4 others were smashed, I will have a look at them tomorrow in daylight. Got the rescues under an anglepoise lamp. Any help appreciated, less than a week to go. What is it about ducks, they are so very daft but so calming. Tyrone fought to the very end. Sorry I have rambled a bit, got a soggy keyboard now. Cannot stop crying. Adore my dog, but I feel I cannot forgive him. I know it is in his nature, but I am supposed to be in control. My Mum 82 who lives with us fought the dog, but will not admit she left the gate open, she is splattered with blood. I am not blaming her I just feel angry she did not phone me when there was a problim.

I am still very upset, in work today one of my chefs called a table number, 2 little ducks, one of my dishwashers nearly killed him :lol: I know it is not my Mum or dogs fault. Dogs instinct is very strong even though he is well trained, and my Mum is 82, I am not blaming her really, just gut reaction. I may have a little bit of good news, candled Fizz's eggs last night, all 8 rescued ones seem to be doing well, look good, and a bit of movement in 2 of them, in fact I have just seen an egg move!. Even tho my Mum is not speaking to me at the mo, she told one of my kids that an egg is moving on its own. Please do not tell me it is about to explode!!!. DH has told me if more eggs than we have room for hatch, he will expand the duck pen. I am nervous about rearing them if I am lucky enough.Planned a really strong spring closure for gate. Thank you for your kind words, really appreciate it. Take care all, Moyna

Fizz's eggs are all very grubby, covered with poo and soil and feathers. Thought it best not to wash them at this late stage. Have sprayed them lightly with water just to get the humidity up. Decided to take a few days of to watch them. Wish me luck please.

Thank you Duckmomma, have planned on a few days off this week, not for this, but thats life. Please keep fingers crossed for us, I really just want just 1 egg to hatch from Fizz. She was such a delightful feisty character, and Tyrone was a real sweety.for all his size. Missing our walks down to the duck pen and seeing these delightful creatures just strutting their stuff. Tyrone for all his size had the most pathetic squeaky quack, he adored Vera, never left her side. Oh goodness crying again. Have got bought eggs from e-bay incubating, all of them seem OK. resisted the thought to get rid of them and put Fizz's eggs in. See what tomorrow brings. XX Moyna

OOPS :oops: I meant 2 1/2 weeks, not 3 1/2, although I had been missing Fizz at feed times for a week or so before I noticed she was sitting on eggs. Bought another incubator this morning, her eggs have just gone in it. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but not hoping too much. I even talked to my dog tonight, he has been introduced to kittens, chicks, chickens,babies over the past 4 years, all no problem, although he does sit on our young ginger cat sometimes. No malice in him, but instinct is a powerful thing. My Mum is talking again, she is as upset as I am. I am just feeling very guilty about blaming others when it was my own responsibility to look after my animals myself. Anyway enough of such maudlin stuff, lets look forward to just 1 hatched egg, please :D, pretty please :D.

None of Fizzes eggs hatched, noticed a really bad smell and lost them all. But a little bit of good news, one of my bought eggs has started to pip. :D . Really excited, and nervous as well. As I am a newbie to duck keeping, panicing as to what do do after hatch, have I got the right equipment, food etc. My garden is empty without the ducks, hopefully not for much longer!.

Another egg has pipped, plus a 3rd one looks as if its moving and has started to bulge a little.!. Cannot stop looking at them :D:D:D:D. Supposed to be finishing DD's wedding invites tonight, shaking too much to tie the bows. If I am lucky how soon after hatching do I feed them?. Thanks for your kind messages I really appreciate it. Take care all, Moyna.

PS., the first egg is REALLY noisy. So excited.

Just had a huge baby duck, he/she is black and yellow with big stripey feet and a very loud voice. Came out of egg so quickly. Help, what do I do next?.Moved incubator shelf down, put non-slip flooring in bottom of incubator, not going to bed yet. :D:D , Percy or Albert (Tatlock) if its a boy. Rita or Emily if its a girl, what do you think?.Cannot stop smiling :D:D:D. 3 other eggs are about to emerge!!!

Percy doing well, cannot believe how big he is. His feet are HUGE. I would never have believed that a duckling a few hours hatched could jump so much, and respond so quickly to a voice.And how do they fit in that egg?. It has been amazing. Looking forward to the grandkiddies coming to see him in the morning. Norris is having a bit of trouble hatching, almost 24 hours now, I can see his beak and an eye. The other eggs seem quiet. I have starter crumb for them, do I need to moisten it?. Many thanks, Moyna :D

Norris! - you might habve known he'd prove to be a pain :roll::lol: I hope he has successfully hatched now?

The crumb should be fine as it is as long as they also have some drinking water in a shallow dish. Nothing too big as ducklings hatched in an incubator won't be waterproof for a few days. Ducklings hatched by a duck are waterproofed by Mum.