chickencam Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 We got our first girls in May last year and they started laying in June and then we got 2 more in August and they started to lay in September. My question is when are they likely to moult. They are all looking pretty tatty at the moment and egg production has gone down from 26 eggs a week to about 20 although I did worm them last week so that may have affected them a bit. I am going to miss all the eggs but I do think that they could do with a rest and re-feather. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 I think they tend to lay most around March / April time, then ease off a little through summer and moult October/November. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 Mine moulted spectacularly during their second autumn. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted June 23, 2008 Author Share Posted June 23, 2008 So I probably have another couple of months of eggs then? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 At least, I would say, as It was Octoberish as I recall. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Faye&Ant Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 One of my girls has just come out of being broody and losing feathers, I assumed it was a moult but if it happens April/May would this still be right? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 Yes, they have odd little mini moults at other times, especially after broody spell, when they tend not to eat well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Faye&Ant Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 Thanks, hopefully she can now get some feathers back on her bald little tummy again! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 I also understand that when they are broody they can pull out their own feathers underneath, so their skin is in closer contact with the eggs / warmth. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellekatz Posted June 23, 2008 Share Posted June 23, 2008 Two of mine that are the same age ( and one of my neighbours also the same age) are moulting at hte moment but not a full moult - so they are still laying the odd egg but it is taking forever Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...