NClaire Posted June 28, 2008 Share Posted June 28, 2008 Hi, we're building a run today for the chickens, and just wondered what you use for roofing - the house will have what I assume is black onduline, but this feels too dark for the run - any suggestions? I've heard of coroline - is this the B&Q stuff? Anything to avoid? I'm concerned that the chickens don't bake! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AJuff Posted June 28, 2008 Share Posted June 28, 2008 I use a taurpaulin because it was green, matched the eglu and was cheap. I know lots of people use PVC corrugated roofing which you can buy easily, I didn't get this because it was going to cost £260 to cover the hen run and OH wasn't best pleased. Taurpaulin cost £26 but it isn't as bright as clear PVC. Pros and cons really. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
NClaire Posted June 28, 2008 Author Share Posted June 28, 2008 Thanks - our current run has a temporary tarpaulin and it does work well. Dh has just come back from B&Q equipped with some clearish corrugated plasticy stuff, so I think that will work - he said it was really cheap, so will ask him exactly what it is and let you know! Thanks for the advice! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 28, 2008 Share Posted June 28, 2008 (edited) ANH is the one to ask about corrugated plastic. She swears by it and I think she may have posted a picture somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. Don't hold your breath. **Here it is** Edited June 28, 2008 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted June 28, 2008 Share Posted June 28, 2008 I'll be interested in finding out how much your roof cost, as that's one of my next jobs to do in the run build My run will be 6 feet by 9 feet- how big is yours? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
NClaire Posted June 28, 2008 Author Share Posted June 28, 2008 The run bit of ours (I bought a house this time - we made one for the other run, but we're in more of a hurry!) - will be 9ft by 3 ft. Dh says the whole thing (wood/wire/roofing/paint) has come in at less than £100, most of which is the wood and the wire - the wire is the most expensive bit I think. Will ask him exactly how much this cost! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
NClaire Posted June 28, 2008 Author Share Posted June 28, 2008 Apparently, it was £7 a sheet, and we need 2 sheets - so £14 for a 9'x3' run. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
NClaire Posted June 28, 2008 Author Share Posted June 28, 2008 Thanks egluntine for finding that - that looks a great run!!! And the roof looks really similar to what dh has brought home, so that's encouraging! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 28, 2008 Share Posted June 28, 2008 You are welcome. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Helen&Lee Posted June 28, 2008 Share Posted June 28, 2008 We have the same roof - we also got it from B&Q. Was on all through last winter it's been fine. Helen Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...